Part 8

The trek from town to town was usually dangerous for an old peddler like Landen Reevese. Luckily the good Lord was on his side as the full moon shone brightly for the path he needed to travel. 

His breaths came out sharp and labored as he scaled the hill, then back down. He had planned to be at Oakhaven before sunrise. Usually, he would only travel by daylight- he was subjected to thieves ambushing him- but he had not been fortunate enough to travel by the sun. 

The only things he carried was his walking stick and the ratted clothes on his back. His muscles groaned and his body shook with need for sustenance, but he had none. If he was lucky, some food would be left out from the night before in the garbage piles.

The man rounded the hill, the only thoughts of was food and water. But he stopped sharply as an obstacle laid on the road, blocking him from his travel. 

His eyesight was poor but he could make out a white contrast to the dark mud on the ground. 

"Hello?" he said in the dark. He approached the dark figure, his eyes squinting to see what it was. 

He approached it cautiously, his breath hitched, as he examined the dead body. 

The first thing he noticed was that her limbs were twisted in awkward, grotesque angles. Her arms were dislocated and one of her legs twisted 180 degrees. 

She wore white dress but was stained, torn, and soiled. He kneeled down next to her and looked at her closer. Upon further inspection, he realized the skin was bloated and likely filled with water from being exposed to water elements. 

The next thing he noticed was how her blonde hair was laid perfectly around her head. It was neatly brushed and each strand placed as if replicating a halo. 

The last thing he noticed was her blank eyes staring directly at him. The man clasped his hands together, his chapped lips forming wordless prayers for the girl in front of him, and he rocked himself. 

He looked up at the clear night sky. Then, he searched her body for any valuables. When none was found, he prayed again, and then got up and made his to Oakhaven. 

From above, within deep in the woods, there was a lone flute playing sorrowful music. As if crying for the lost soul of the girl at the bottom of the cliff. 

Edward Farnham awoke out of a deep slumber from a frantic knock at the door. He and his wife sat up at the sudden intrusion of their sleep.

"Who's there?" his wife cried. He patted his wife on the shoulder before getting up. 

Within a few bounds he answered the door. His stomach knotted as he saw the two local men standing there. Both were well known in the community, they both carried a somber expression. Without a word spoken between the three men, Edward nodded and immediately understood the situation. He was dressed and out the door within a minute and was out the door with a bag of tool in hand. 

The night air was warm as they travelled in silence. Edward rode on his own horse while the other two followed with a wagon. Edward's stomached knotted uneasily. He could only imagine what happened. No one bothered him out of bed unless it was very important. 

Sure enough, as soon as he saw the body and his heart sank. The odor of the decaying body was strong as he approached. He nearly gagged and held his breath as he started to examine the body. As he worked he tried to recognize her. Suddenly his heart stopped, his hands pausing briefly. 

She was one of the missing girls.

In that moment his heart went out to the family of Royce Capestake. This would be devastating for them.