Chapter 1

The beginning

Summer was coming to a close, diagonal alley was packed with students hurrying to get things ready for they next year at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. There were soon-to-be first years, muggleborns amazed at the magic they saw, children running left to right, store to store. The excitement left regulus with a strange ache in his heart. He was missing Sirius dearly, it had only been that summer, the first time since Sirius' first year that they were really separated. Of course they had the distance at Hogwarts, what with being sorted into different houses but this was something entirely different. Sirius had ran, rightfully so, to the Potters. And although this left Regulus feeling abandoned, all alone in the Black's residence he knew why Sirius did it, he couldn't blame him for having enough. Enough of the abuse from being a disappointment in his red and gold colours, in associating with the potters, 'mudbloods', being a sympathiser. He could never admit it out loud to his parents but he was too. He truly did not understand the need for the divide. When did muggleborns ever do anything bad to them. But they were hooked, trapped under Voldemorts wiry fingers. He was going to be soon as well if he didn't get out. That's why this year was going to be different. He was going to escape, hide with his brother, they would be reunited again. But is that a dream? Could it really become a reality? We'll, he'd have to wait. Wait to see if he would be accepted into Sirius' band of pranksters. It was his only hope.

***

James Potter has had the best summer yet, having his adoptive brother move in, even in horrific circumstances, they've had a hell of a time. The places they've explored, the sleepovers (Sirius swore him to secrecy but he can't sleep alone, the nightmares get too much, James nearly silenced them though) the times the other marauders have joined, when Mr and Mrs Potter went out on their own holiday, having everyone over having a party, sneaking into the liquor cabinet, swapping the vodka for water, pink gin for cherryade. It's safe to say they definitely had fun. But there were times that James caught Sirius, looking out the window in his own world, brows furrowed, or getting lost in the picture he took of him and Regulus. He'd never admit it, but James could see the longing, he truly did miss Regulus and was incredibly worried when he wouldn't respond to his letters. James tried to convince him that Walburga Black probably intercepted them before they reached Regulus. That worked for the first few weeks. Until he got caught up in the what ifs, was Reggie safe? What if he got beaten so bad, and Sirius wasn't there to stitch him back up? There had been two occasions Sirius nearly went back, both times James stopped him, what good is he if any of the death eaters caught him, hexed him so bad or god forbid killed him. They planned to wait until Hogwarts, corner Regulus, get him to open up, try and get him to come to the Potters, to run away.

So when the marauders were sat on the train in their usual cabin, they were all shocked when the door opened and there stood Regulus two cases in hand, a black eye and stitches on his cheek, harbouring a sheepish almost painful looking smile. James was too distracted by the shock to acknowledge the tumbles he felt over that crooked smile. After all they had believed they'd have to corner him, force him. None of them planned that he would show up, on his own volition, without prompt. They all hurried to move, sit him down, after the shock dissipated. Remus gathered his first aid kit he kept for the full moons. Peter grabbed the suitcases. James made room on the bench next to him that was covered in their snack stash for the train. Sirius gathered his brother in his arms as he broke down, shutting and locking the door on their way to the seats made clear.

Who would have known, a snake willingly walking into a lions den? It might be the first but certainly won't be the last time.

As Regulus unraveled in front of the marauders eyes, James made plans, go go straight to Dumbledore and request an extra bed. Once the Slytherins and Blacks figure out what is happening, Regulus will no longer be safe at his own dorm. And so, here begins the enrolment of the new marauder, oh how exciting.

AN:
A short first chapter but I hope you enjoy, like I mentioned before I'm not running on a schedule. Don't be a silent reader, reactions remind me this is here, which equals updates!