Chapter 17 [The Ball: Part 1]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

[A/N: Please rem that my descriptive skills suck!... but i tried my best to describe the scene as best i can... hope u like

Chapter 17

Tonight they were officially coming out as a couple. It still felt strange, that less than two months ago, she had disliked him. The fact that she already liked him and may very well grow to love him, scares her witless, especially with the news of the betrothal. If her father and godfather couldn't find a way out, Catie and Leonidas may have no choice but to marry each other. But she wouldn't think of that now, she had a ball to attend!

He was waiting for her in the stairwell that led to the gardens, where the ball was being held. She came with her family, but they already joined the party, she and Leonidas were to make an entrance as couple.

As she approached him, her calmness was becoming nervousness. But his reassuring smile soothed her somewhat. 

"You look absolutely breathtaking," he said when she reached him. 

Her hair was slightly curled and styled to fall behind her head, with a few strands hanging loosely at the side of her face. And her dress was the same she had shown Ariel, and even though the Young Princess had approved of it, she still felt a little skeptical about it, and was relieved that Leonidas liked it. His approval was the only one that mattered. She knew the critics would probably love it, since it was featured in her mother's magazine. When her mom had contacted the designer and asked if the dress could be worn to the ball, he practically shouted his consent! 

Sighing a little, Elise murmured a soft "Thank you," and looked down.

Placing a hand under her chin, Leonidas lifted her head until her gaze met his. 

"Don't look down. You have nothing to hide." Smiling he turned and offered his arm for her to take. 

She took it, and he asked, "Are you ready for our public debut?"

"Ready as I'll ever be, I guess." she responded.

"Don't be nervous, I'll be by your side all the time." He assured her.

As they walked to the edge of the stairs, she had a look out at the scene below. The gardens looked beautiful. Lanterns were lit and placed all around. The band was set up at the east end of the garden, under the huge gazebo, which had white and red roses inserted in the vines growing around the poles from roof to ground. Fairy lights were slowly blinking from all the trees, and even though they were only accompanied by the many lanterns, the place still seemed brightly lit. The overhead sky was partially cloudy, but stars still peaked out. The moon was hidden, but it's glow was evident around the edges of the cloud it hid behind. 

The opposite end of the garden to which they faced was the table with appetizers and drinks, decadently set up, suitable enough for the royal gathering. Couples were already on the dance floor, swaying slowly to the pianos, violins, harps and trumpets combo. Chairs and tables aligned the sides bordering the wide dance floor, with the table for the Royal Party set up at the head, just below the stair way they were about to descend. The buzz from conversations was hanging highly in the air.

Elise had never attended a ball before, and somehow, this was not what she had in mind. When she thought of balls, she thought of ballrooms, chandeliers, high curtains hanging from glass paned windows. The set up before her resembled a high glass garden party, but the guests' formal attire of ball gowns and three piece suits didn't look out of place.