Introduction (The Check List)

A/N: Hey guys! So I'm back in action with a new Perrentes story ;) I officially made this my second OTP a few months ago next to Kellic. They'll probably be a hint Kellic in this fic too, because well...otp... I hope you guys enjoy this story, because I actually took time to plan it all out for once! Please, do leave feedback and constructive criticism as I'm always looking to improve. Anyway, this is just a short introduction, and this whole fic is going to be written in Mike's POV.

-

I've always wondered how people manage to balance profession and social relevance, especially since I'm constantly being told I'm a workaholic. My friends tell me it's unhealthy, but I tell them that working hard is simply my forte. Besides, who wouldn't prefer to have a career they enjoy?

Mr. Harland (the manager) enters the room, glancing down at his familiar pacific blue clipboard.

"Okay guys just a few things that need to be addressed, and then you can enjoy the rest of your Sunday." He announces with a nod, adjusting his ebony-framed glasses and scanning the room for a head count. Yes, I'm at work on a Sunday. Not really work--more like a team meeting. I personally don't mind it, but everyone else seems to by their flustered expressions.

Alysha Nett is to the right of me, and let me say, what a dashing woman she is. Professional, classy, and just a hint of flirty. In one word, intimidating. I almost dislike her for her natural charm, because I strived for two years to get the position I have now, while it only took her 6 months. She returns my gaze with a bat of her curled eyelashes, and a shake of her long, blonde hair as Mr. Harland begins the meeting.

"Alright, so for my new employers, first of all--welcome, and I hope you all had a chance to meet some of your colleagues at the barbecue last Saturday." He starts with the same benevolent welcome wagon he does every meeting prior to summer interning.

"Anyway, tomorrow begins the summer interning here at OceansUnite. We'll have a group of 15 college graduates here first thing in the morning, all who majored in marine biology. As most of you know, we hire 3 people post internship. You all report to me one week prior the internship conclusion, along with this sheet of paper telling me which intern, you think outstood the others." He instructed, passing through the narrow isle and placing the familiar paper on the six desks in the room. I held back a sigh, a little exasperated by the known routine, but nevertheless, pretending to scrutinize the sheet of paper in order to avoid appearing uninterested.

Check boxes with an 'X' and turn in approximately a week before summer concludes.

Name of intern:

Productive? Yes [] No []

Compliant? Yes [] No []

Suggestive? Yes [] No []

Works well under pressure? Yes [] No []

Seemingly determined? Yes [] No []

Handles repetitive, tedious tasks with enthusiasm? Yes [] No []

Overall rating: 1 [] 2 [] 3 [] 4 []

I merely glanced at the recitable words, then found myself peering up at the wallpaper-covered walls as everyone else attentively scanned through the checklist. The wallpaper hiding the original eggshell color was littered with all types of sea creatures, most being sea turtles. The choice of decoration annoyed me, mostly because I believe the color is distracting.

"Anyone have questions?" Mr. Harland asked, meaning the meeting was nearly done.

The room stood still for a moment's time, but then, one of our new colleagues, (I believe her name is Danielle) raised her hand.

"Yes, Mrs. Victoria? What is your question?" He asked her.

She toyed with the ends of her auburn hair before asking, "Could we please have the names of the interns we'll be meeting tomorrow?"

His eyes squinted. "Uhm yeah, they're actually short biographies with pictures, so pass them around." He commanded.

Alysha and I received ours first, and curiosity took over me as I asked, "Who'd you get?"

"Amie Seaman and she's kind of pretty." She admitted, reading over Amie's biography. "How about you?"

I turned over the paper to see a man appearing to be around his late twenties. "Uhm, Tony Perry."