Chapter 11: The World's Shittiest Apology

"Can we sit? I think I need to sit." Minji said.

Hanni sighed and plopped herself down onto the couch. Minji followed her lead and nearly dropped herself into Hanni's lap.

"Min," Hanni said. Minji laughed, giving her some space as she straightened out.

"Okay, look, you're mad, right?" Minji asked, waving her hands in a way that looked more spastic than she probably intended.

"Yeah, I'm mad." Hanni said stiffly. Minji looked at her as if she expected her to keep talking. "Do you even know why I'm mad?" Hanni asked, exasperatedly.

"Because of the whole Chaewon thing," Minji said, swinging her hands obviously.

"No, not because of 'the whole Chaewon thing'," Hanni snapped. Minji furrowed her brow, drooping forward slightly.

"No? But that was bad, wasn't it?" Minji asked thoughtfully. "It was bad."

"Why do you think it was bad?" Hanni asked.

"Because we were, you know, in the middle of things and-" Minji started.

"That was your concern? Not getting off?" Hanni fumed. "Or was it that Chaewon almost caught you trying to fuck a girl you'll never be with?"

"Wait, no, Hanni, look, that's not what I meant-" Minji said. She reached out to grab Hanni's hands, but Hanni pulled them back.

"I was there, Min! I had to listen to you say terrible things about me!" Hanni said. Her eyes stung. She pressed at them hard with the backs of her hands.

"Wait, please, just, shh, for a second. Shh," Minji said, bringing a finger to her lips. "I just need a second to make the words right because I keep messing them up."

"Because you're drunk! After all the shit I had to deal with today, you decide that a bullshit drunk apology is gonna be enough? I mean fuck, I know I messed up but you've been making me pay for it for fucking weeks, it's bullshit!" Hanni yelled. "And not only that, but fuck who knows if you're even going to remember this tomorrow-"

"Hanni," Minji said tenderly.

"What?" Hanni groaned.

"I miss you," Minji said. Hanni nearly groaned again. She pressed her hands hard against her temples.

"You don't get to just say things like that," Hanni sighed.

"I do. I miss you," Minji said.

"You don't even want to be my friend," Hanni said.

"I can't be your friend," Minji frowned.

"What the fuck?" Hanni snapped. "This is officially the worst apology in history-"

"You scare me," Minji said softly.

"What?" Hanni asked, dumbfounded.

"We can't be friends because you scare me," Minji said.

"Wait but- why?" Hanni asked.

"Every time I see you, I want to kiss you," Minji said.

"Min-" Hanni tried in vain to fight her creeping blush with anger.

"And that's scary because I didn't think I would feel like that again. And this probably isn't a good apology but I just wanted to give it to you as soon as I could because I knew you were upset and that I fucked it up," Minji said.

"You know we need to actually talk, right?" Hanni asked. "Like, sober, I mean."

Minji nodded. "Tomorrow. I promise tomorrow," she said.