3

Aaron lay in bed the following week on a Friday night, his covers over his entire body. His phone illuminated his face and his nose was practically touching the screen as he typed out a message to Josh. His fingers hovered over the keyboard a few times and twitched with anxiety.

'Hey baby, I miss you. How's New York and'

Aaron frustratedly deleted the message. He probably shouldn't be using pet names anymore, especially when Josh made it clear that he wanted a break from Aaron. The brunette couldn't figure out why. He thought they were in love. He was so sure that they'd be able to battle anything that comes their way so they could be together. He fully understands why Josh left and he knows his boyfriend (or ex boyfriend now, maybe) is obsessed with dance, the same way Aaron was obsessed with music, but did he really have to just throw him aside like he was nothing?

All the whispered words of affection and affirmation went down the drain in Aaron's eyes. Josh didn't care as much as he did and it was painfully obvious and Aaron felt like a fool.

'Hey Josh. I got your letter last week. Hope you're doing okay and hope things work out in New York. I'm here if you ever need anything. Take care of yourself x'

He settled on that message. Short, simple, sweet. He hit send and locked his phone, putting it down face first on his bed. A large sigh escaped his lips and he instantly felt better after sending that message. It felt like he was finally coming to terms with the fact that Josh was gone and he was alone. Aaron felt single. He didn't have somebody to cuddle with every night now. He couldn't go on dates anymore and he didn't have anyone to text 24/7. He sighed again, feeling the weight of his thoughts push him down deeper into the pits of gloom. It was a rollercoaster of constant ups and downs.

Aaron decided to get out of his thoughts and his bed for a while. He needed a distraction from the emptiness he felt. Slowly, he pushed the covers aside and swung his legs over the edge of the bed, his feet landing on the cold hardwood floor. With a sigh, he stood up, stretched and made his way downstairs to the living room. He felt comfortable in his joggers and his hoodie, loving the fact that he was indoors for once on a Friday night.

As he entered the dimly lit living room, he noticed that it was empty and the TV screen stood silent and black. He assumed that all his housemates were tucked away in their own rooms, probably caught up in their own lives or assignments, or relationships. He then located his covered guitar and strummed a tune for a while, getting lost in his own head. Small murmurs of his own lyrics escaped his lips but he kept it quiet, not really that comfortable with his own singing.

An hour later, Aaron put his guitar down and grabbed the remote instead and flicked the TV on, the screen coming to life with a soft glow that illuminated the dark room. He chose a random movie on Netflix and got comfortable. About half an hour into the random movie, just as Aaron was beginning to lose himself in the story, there was a sudden, knock on the door.

Startled, he paused the movie and glanced towards the entrance. He wasn't expecting anyone and it was unusual for someone to drop by unannounced. He didn't hear anyone else shuffle in their bedrooms so he sighed and pushed himself off the sofa.

When he finally opened the front door, his surprise grew as he saw Damon standing on the doorstep. Aaron blinked across at him in disbelief. "Damon?" he said, his voice tinged with suspicion. "What brings you here? Again."

Damon, looking a bit uneasy, met Aaron's confused gaze. "What? I just... I wanted to check in on you, see how you're holding up," he replied, a hint of awkwardness in his tone. "Josh sent me a message. He said I should come over. Said you might not be doing so good today. Something about a text."