20

There was a knock on the door which startled both Aaron and Damon from where they were laid on the couch. Aaron groaned lightly, burying his face into Damon's shoulder. "Bad timing," he muttered out in a distasteful tone.

Damon chuckled and patted him softly. Then he shifted from underneath Aaron's weight and made his way out of the living room and towards the front door. A playful smile was on Aaron's face as he watched him leave. He really did have it bad. Even just looking at the back of the smaller boy made his stomach do flips.

Aaron groaned lightly and stretched out his limbs, aimlessly flopping back down on the sofa, eagerly waiting for the boy to reappear. He heard the front door open. Then, he heard it. He heard him.

Gasping loudly, Aaron shot up to a sitting position. He knew that voice. He knew who that was. His heart raced when he heard the unmistakable voice of none other than Josh at the front door. Was it really him? Was Aaron dreaming? Panic gripped him and he instinctively glanced around for a place to hide. In times like this, Aaron chose flight rather than fright or freeze. The living room was the last place he wanted to be trapped in right now. His initial reaction was to seek refuge in the kitchen, which was adjacent to the living room. He hurriedly tiptoed into the kitchen, hoping to remain out of sight for as long as possible.

Peering through a crack in the door, Aaron watched as Damon greeted Josh with a dumbfound look on his face. He couldn't see Josh's face. Only his back. His heart hammered in his chest and his knees felt weak. Why was he back? What was he doing here? When did he arrive? The ringing in Aaron's ears was too loud and he couldn't concentrate on what they were saying. He was in too much shock. He could see the tension and unease in Damon's expression and it mirrored his own feelings.

The sudden sight of Josh's random return back to London was completely unexpected and brought a wave of mixed emotions. Aaron knew he had to stay hidden for now, at least until he could gather his thoughts and emotions properly. He didn't know what to do. What did Josh want? Did he know Aaron was here? Why hadn't he warned Damon before just turning up here unannounced?

As he tried to listen to their conversation, the weight of his secrecy and the feelings he held for Damon began to press down on him stronger than ever before. He had never really felt guilty about it because he had nothing to feel guilty about. It's not like he cheated on Josh. The blonde broke up with him. Aaron was free to do whatever, or whoever, he wanted.

The kitchen felt suffocating and Aaron's mind raced with questions and doubts. He wished he could be open about his new situation with Damon, but the lingering tensions with Leo and the complicated history with Josh made it completely impossible right now.

When he heard the conversation shifting to all of Josh's amazing adventures in New York, Aaron felt sick to his stomach. He didn't need to hear this right now. He just wanted to leave. Patting down his jeans, he ensured he had his phone. He didn't have his shoes but he didn't care about that right now. He opened his uber app and quickly booked a ride to take him back home. He needed an escape and he needed it now. He could barely breathe.

As Josh continued to speak in an animatedly loud voice, the internal conflict within Aaron reached its peak. He sounded like he didn't even care about anyone but himself. All he could bang on about was his adventures. Aaron couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to face Josh again for the first time since their break up and have an honest conversation about their past. However, the fear of opening old wounds and the complicated feelings he now held for Damon held him back.

He had to escape the house without being seen. Stealthily, he tiptoed to the back door and quietly turned the doorknob, slipping into the garden. His heart pounded as he closed the door behind him with utmost care. Out in the garden, Aaron took a moment to catch his breath. He leaned against the house, his mind a whirlwind of emotions. He felt a mix of relief for not being discovered, anxiety over the situation, and longing for the comfort of being in Damon's presence again. Was Damon okay? Aaron knew that Damon felt even guiltier than he did and the thought made him want to run back into the house to be by his side, but he just couldn't. He couldn't face Josh. Not yet.