Part 4 - Confusion and Pizza

The day went by quicker than you thought, the rain only starting to shower Inazuma, forcing you and Ayaka to stay in the Komore Teahouse with Thoma.
The rain pattered the Teahouse louder than yesterday, you thought as Thoma returned to the dim room with a pot of tea and three teacups on a tray.
The only light in the room was the lights from the main area of the Teahouse, and sudden spurts of lightning outside that colored the room a light purple.
"Thank you, Thoma." Ayaka said, sipping from her teacup. "Sure! I just wish we could get these lights on." His smile turned into a frown as he looked up at the lights. "It's alright."
The two didn't notice you staring off into space until Thoma saw that you hadn't drank your tea.
"Y/N? Hellooo~ anybody home?" Thoma's giggles broke you from your trance, as you apologized and started drinking your tea.
The day went by, ending with you quickly walking behind Ayaka back to the Kamisato Estate once the rain had calmed, the sky tired and surrounded with grey clouds.
You were walking home, completely forgetting about Heizou coming over.
He was sitting on the first step of three stairs, a brown box on the second step.
As soon as he sees you his face lights up and he stands up, grabbing the box.
"What's this?" You ask him, pointing to the box. "Pizza. Remember? We had a bunch of this stuff when we were kids." You both chuckle, revisiting the memories.
A sudden chill rises up your back and neck as you find your key and open the door, letting you both in and closing the door behind you.

"Where'd you get it?" You asked, sitting on the floor in the living room in front of the table.
"Kazuha brought it and gave it to me." Excitement grew in you, but so did jealousy. Your look displayed that, and his eyes widened.
"Oh, he was in a hurry. You know he would have stopped by if he could." You nodded. "Yeah. I know. I just miss him." He smiled and nodded as you took a bite out of your pizza.
For the next thirty minutes or so, you guys ate pizza and talked on your living room table.
"So, how have you been? It's really weird not having you at the agency. Boring too."
You chuckled.
"I've been good! Nothing really major to report though. Ayaka usually goes to Komore Teahouse and I follow."
Heizou nods, knowing there's more to the story, and wanting to hear it.
"Although, she wanted to walk by the beach but it was too late..."
You sighed.
"So I promised her that we could do it tomorrow. And the next day, it was cold and rainy! She barely spoke to me..."
Heizou could sense the self-blame in both your face and your voice.
"Hey, that's not your fault. You can't control Inazuma's weather after all."
You smiled softly.
"I guess... do you think she hates me?" You asked, worry in your voice.
Heizou seemed startled by the worry in your voice.
"Of course not! It's impossible to hate you. I mean, you're so kind, thoughtful, selfless, strong, brave, cute. Just look at you, you're amazing."
He didn't realize that he said cute until his cheeks flushed, yours too.
He awkwardly shoved another slice of pizza in his mouth. You looked away, embarrassed.
It felt like nothing would end this uncomfortable silence, until you both finished the pizza. You reached to grab the box as you stood, and Heizou did the same. Your faces met about one and a half feet apart, blush coloring your cheeks.
You pulled the box effortlessly into your hands and said, "I got it," as you walked to put it in the garbage.
When you walked him out, your eye was pulled to the dark, shadowy path that led to Mailyn's alley. Heizou caught your gaze, and looked to where you were.
"Something wrong?"
"Oh, actually, just down there to the left there's a homeless child about 10 or 11 named Mailyn. I stop by and give her Mora every day on the way to work and sometimes when I'm heading home, too. But recently she hasn't been there, and it's starting to worry me. I would investigate myself, but..."
Heizou smiled and nodded. His face radiated admiration as he looked at you.
"I'll look into it. See you tomorrow, Y/N. Goodnight," you said goodnight as he walked away and disappeared behind an alley. You closed the door and took a deep breath. What just happened, you thought, my face is still warm... You covered your face with your hands. Heizou is my childhood best friend, you told yourself, we could never be more... Could we?
That night it was hard to get to sleep, the moment when your faces almost touched replaying in your mind. It had always been the three of you, Heizou, Kazuha and you. Sure, you thought, Heizou flirts. But that's just teasing, right?
As questions and thoughts died down in your mind, your eyes got heavy, and eventually, you fell asleep.