Ten

THE night was chaos.

Belly had gone on to push Sheila and Nicole completely away making them leave the house early. She was beyond wasted and didn't even realize the damage she was causing.

Ophelia was pissed off because her fourth of July was ruined. All she wanted was to spend it with her mom and that couldn't happen so then Belly made it ten times worse by the way she behaved.

especially towards Conrad.

By the end of the night, the girl found herself sitting on a toilet in the almost completely empty house. Conrad was down on the patio watching the fireworks while she attempted to push down her anxiety and flip over the tests sitting on her counter.

Ophelia's lip was quivering and she couldn't possibly do this alone. She didn't want to go get Conrad because in the case that the tests are positive, she doesn't want him to react poorly.

So she called her mom.

"Please pick up." her eyelids shimmered with tears as the phone rang.

"Honey? Is everything okay? It's pretty late there." Anne said from the other line.

"Y-Yeah everything fine." her voice cracked which her mother noticed.

"Baby are you okay? Did something happen?"

"Promise you won't get mad at me." Ophelia begged softly as her voice broke.

"I'll never get mad at you." Anne said. "I'm just worried baby."

"Mom, I might be pregnant." Ophelia broke the news to her mom and choked on a sob.

"What!?" her mothers screech from the other line made her pull the phone away from her ear. "How!?"

"Mom..." she frowned and wiped at her eyes. There was a long silence as Ophelia held her head low. She felt the disappointment through the phone.

Her mom took a deep breath and collected herself before speaking again. "Honey, first things first, are you okay?" Anne asked.

"I think so." she sniffled. "I wanted you to be here when I took the tests but since you aren't able to be here I'm doing it by myself."

Once again there was silence. Ophelia choked on her tears and furrowed her brows. "Mom?"

There was a knock at the bathroom door making Ophelia wipe at her tears. She stuffed the tests into her jeans without looking and opened the door a crack.

Her eyes widened when she saw her mom standing in front of her with teary eyes. "Mom!" she threw herself into the woman's arms. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't miss watching the fireworks with you." Anne said tearfully. "And I guess finding out I'm gonna be a grandma."

"I-I took them but I haven't looked." Ophelia wiped her tears.

"Does Conrad know?" Anne asked.

Ophelia nodded shakily. "But if it's positive, I don't know how he'll react."

"Then let's check them together." they walked to the bed and sat down. Ophelia sighed deeply and pulled the tests out with shaking hands. Anne held her daughters hands and made eye contact with her. "Baby, it'll be okay. I'm right here with you."

"O-Okay." she gulped and flipped them over.

•~•~•

Conrad stood on the dock leaning over the railing as he watched the fireworks. He was waiting on Ophelia who said she was calling her mom. He knows how hard it is for her to not spend a holiday with her mom.

Ophelia's the only thing that's been on his mind lately. The fact that they could possibly be parents is mind boggling but he couldn't imagine being in the position with anyone else.

He was broken from his thoughts when someone walked up beside him. He inhaled a breath when he saw that it was Belly. "So...does everyone hate me now?"

"Who could ever hate you?" he said sarcastically. His girlfriend could. And he wouldn't blame her.

"I think my mom just got railed." she laughed out loud. His eyes widened in surprise.

"What? By who?" he asked in shock.

"I don't know." she laughed.

"Wow. Go Laurel." he said, looking back at the fireworks. He glanced at the house to see if Ophelia was coming down yet.

"Conrad?" Belly got his attention. He hummed in acknowledgement. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." he shrugged.

"Did I ever have a shot?" she blurted out. His body stiffened and he clenched his jaw, suddenly very aware that they were alone and he didn't like it. "Well? Becuase when we were younger-"

"When we were younger, you were the only girl I was ever around." he scoffed. "I was a little boy who didn't know what love really was. Ophelia is what love really is."

"I didn't ask about her." Belly crossed her arms. He rolled his eyes. "So you didn't like me when we were younger?"

"Even if I did what does it matter?" he laughed. "I don't now. I never will. You're just like a little sister now."

Ouch. Belly could feel her heart crack. But in her mind, he still used to like her. She could bring those feelings back.

"What about now?" she asked.

"Huh?"

"Feelings can come back. They're not gone permanently." she said.

"Belly-"

"Conrad,we'd be amazing together. We have a connection."

"Ophelia and I have a connection." he stepped away from her but she moved closer. He turned to face her, ready to tell her off.

"This isn't right! You should open your options. Ophelia is just a temporary thing. High school relationships don't last!"

"We will alright?!" he raised his voice. "She's the love of my life and I'll be damned if-"

Silence. His words were muffled in his mouth as he felt unfamiliar lips on his. He tried to pull back but she had her hands on his cheeks, holding him tightly in place.

His efforts were futile and little did he know that his brother and girlfriend were watching from the patio.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.