8. The (un)happy ending...?

While lifeboat passengers were still afloat on the boats, trying to process the events of the night, they witnessed the breaking dawn. A bit later, a ship rescued the remaining people and headed straight for New York, USA.

Some time had already passed after the tragic incident of the Titanic, but people were still talking about it. Newspapers wrote that the devastating events of the Titanic would be engraved into people's minds and history for centuries to come.

Even children engaged in discussions about the ship quite eagerly, it's story, and it's tragic end. Sometimes, while playing outside, they would find themselves talking and reminiscing about the catastrophic events of the ship.

One time, a certain kid while playing on the street said to another kid.

"Hey, did you hear that Sherlock Holmes was on the Titanic?"

"Do you mean Sherlock Holmes? As in the detective Sherlock Holmes?" asked with a sense of wonder.

"Yes! The very same.

"So, do you know if he survived?" asked with curiosity.

A voice from afar said.

"He survived. And he is hoping that his friend survived as well."

"How do you know mister? Wait, isn't he who I think he is?!" one of the kids shouted in surprise.

"This is the real Sherlock Holmes!" another boy exclaimed.

The boys stopped playing and gathered around Sherlock. They gazed at him in surprise, even wanting to touch him to make sure he wasn't a ghost. Having so many questions, they started shouting all at once.

They had never even imagined that they would meet the famous detective. But, as always, you never know what fate has in store for you. Just when you think you have a grasp on your life, something happens again.

While the boys were buzzing around, firing off all their questions at once to the detective, Holmes saw a figure passing by further down the street, capturing his attention. The noises around him became a mere backdrop as his focus sharpened only on the passerby.

"No, it can't be. I've searched everywhere..." Sherlock unconsciously shouted. The boys were confused. Without saying goodbye to them, he just started running towards that person.

His facial expression was full of hope. He had longed for this moment to finally happen, to be reunited with his partner at last.

"Liam!" he shouted to the figure as he got closer and grabbed his arm gently.

The figure paused for a moment, then turned to Holmes. He was speechless. His face held a tender expression, and for a moment, he couldn't find his words. Sherlock hurried into his arms, embracing him tightly.

"Liam, you're alive! Liam, Liam! I've been searching for you! I thought I would never see you again! But finally

"Liam, you're alive! Liam, Liam! I've been searching for you! I thought I would never see you again! But finally... I've found you. And... I finally caught you." Sherlock's voice trembled as he spoke these words aloud. Tears welled up in his eyes, and the professor returned the embrace.

"Sherlock, so we meet again," he said with a loving smile as sincere as ever before.

In that moment, two souls torn apart were reunited after a mundane catastrophe.

Afterwards, the gentlemen made their way to an apartment in Brooklyn, New York, which Sherlock had rented.

"Please, make yourself at home, Liam."

"Are you planning to stay here for a while, Sherlock?"

"Actually, my plan was to stay here for as long as it took to find you. I couldn't bear the thought of being the only survivor. When the ship sank and we were submerged, I tried to reach for your hand, but the underwater current pulled me away from you. It was dark, and amidst the chaos, I couldn't sense your presence. I won't deny it - I was desperately searching for you, Liam. As I faced the brink of death, those in the lifeboats managed to pull me in, making room for more passengers. My consciousness faded as the cold water took its toll. I eventually woke up in a New York hospital. I had been unconscious for quite some time. Even after regaining my senses, I relentlessly questioned other survivors, hoping to find any trace of you. I refused to accept the possibility that you were dead. So, Liam, I am glad. I am so glad. I'm beyond grateful. Truly, deeply glad from the core of my being that you are alive."

Sherlock's voice cracked throughout his narrative. The man known for his usually strong voice was now faltering, as if some words were caught in his throat. Tears welled up in his eyes. After sharing his experience and thoughts with William, he looked at his deep scarlet eyes and felt relieved that his friend survived the catastrophe.

William was left speechless. He had never witnessed the detective being so genuine and emotional.

"To be honest, I thought I would die. I accepted the fact that perhaps this is my fate, that perhaps this is for the better. But I guess, fate still needs me to play a role in its game, so I survived..."

The men continued talking all night long about the fateful events of that tragic night. Their connection deepened further. Both of them acknowledged their intense feelings, yet neither felt the need to rush.

The dawn was approaching, and they were aware that the time would soon come for them to part ways, perhaps not seeing each other for a while. They considered the possibility that when they next meet, it might be as enemies rather than friends.

Feeling a powerful emotional connection, their hands touched, marking the start of their forbidden relationship.