Background:

Note: Back story of his world. It is not necessary, But it's nice to know, That's all.

In this world, ships have humanoid appearances and were referred to as spirits.

These spirits feel, express, act, and age like they are human. The only difference was their cause of death and life span.

Steel rusts and ships sink simple concept for their longevity.

History of these spirits first appeared when the first ironclads were launched. A spirit starts as a toddler/infant, depending on the ship and the steel used, and grows to their full height ~17-18. Certain exceptions have it at ~18-20. It is uncertain, but the length could be why.

A spirit was a simple ship in a human form, they couldn't operate their boilers, fire their cannons, or have their ships on their backs, no. They needed a crew to operate.

These spirits had mostly been girls.

Only some destroyers, a few battleships, and a couple carriers were boys.

Well, past context indicates otherwise, because it all changed in the early 1960s.

In 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Portals opened behind the US Navies 'quarantine' line around Cuba, Aliens, now called sirens, appeared in moderate numbers. This caused a naval skirmish to occur between the Sirens and the US Navy. Resulting in a minor defeat as the recently developed term and missile called a "ground-to-air missile" heavily damaged 70-80% of all humanoid sirens that day. But the surface combatants of the Siren fleets, now called mass-produced Siren ships, proved to be the decisive winner. Mostly due to their numbers.

The Sirens had only made their presence in the Gulf of Mexico and had started to push out by the start of early summer in 1963.

This was all until the United States activated the "Fuck em" (Basically) protocol.

And down went approximately 85,000 mass-produced sirens and 2,000 humanoid sirens in 20 minutes with the use of 17 ICBMS.

The use of ICBMs as a deterrent proved crucial in erasing the siren's effort to push further into the US naval waters. Cuba was just ignored due to its insignificance. However, the Sirens still had numbers up their sleeve.

In the meantime, old battleships were rolling out of their museum docks to reach combat, where ever possible. However, the air was beginning to fill by mid-summer with Siren & American planes. The new F-4's Phantoms (Primarily C & D models) were wreaking havoc on the Siren's planes that were trying to take the air over the US Mainland. 

But this recent show of thermonuclear weapons and the air battle did overshadow the attempt to have a meeting between the two superpowers of the world.

 John F Kennedy pushed Nikita Khrushchev to work together on this problem.

Khrushchev was refusing to cooperate with Kennedy on the subject.

As Khrushchev exclaimed that he would have to see them with his own eyes to work with Kennedy on the Siren "squabble", that Khrushchev saw at hand.

Needless to say, he ate his own words, The Sirens had begun, after having too many setbacks in the Gulf of Mexico, opened a portal in the Arctic Circle, that threatened the Soviet Union and, now, Canada.

Khrushchev relented and joined forces to make the UFAS (United Force Against Sirens).

Simplistic, yes, Will it matter, No.

Why? I'm getting to it!

This Super Power alliance formed out of a mutual problem bore fruit together.

The creation of the cube, an effort, that took half a year of back-and-forth fighting, from 1962 & 1963, was created off of research put in from tests done to Siren Cubes to give us a stable, light blue, cube that could be produced on mass due to how little material resources it required from both powers.

The Japanese, after hearing of this cube, jumped onto the idea of calling them Kansens. And it stuck.

The transformation from spirits to Kansen's started in January of 1964 to combat the Sirens and squash them like bugs. In all but the male spirits.

The first time they tried nearly blew up USS Missouri's front turret sometime in March of the same year. When they tested it with chunks of the cube, over a couple of years, it worked out.

So they gave pieces of the cube to the male spirits over the course of 5-10 years as a precaution. This transition would be complete when USS Kitty Hawk was the last to turn into a Kansen in 1974.

The last spirit transformation to occur was for USS Enterprise.

She had some technical issue involving the cube, so they had to throw it into the 8 nuclear reactors to avoid any further complications to turn her into a Kansen by 1975.

Before you ask, Yes, they threw 1 cube each into 8 nuclear reactors, YES it wouldn't have made sense. But to make it a cavoite to making more Enterprise Class Carriers and on track with our world. Yes.

By 1966, the Siren's presence on Earth was cut down by 80%, the UFAS was disbanded, Museum ships were put back to their home ports, and NATO and Eastern Bloc came back up to go separate ways. This culminated in the US Navy focusing on dealing with communism in Vietnam while the Soviet Union and the Chinese Republic in-directly supported Vietnam in their effort.

By 1977, Technological advancements, with the use of former siren technology, proved vital in renovating the US Navy with new shield tech and CIWS systems.

No, they didn't upgrade jet engines, There's a reason why they didn't steal Siren Jet Engines.

Because their engines suck.

New consumer goods involving the use of siren tech just getting into the market, TVs (2010s), DVD players, and a multitude of other products (No smartphones) were made off of this new technology becoming more accessible to the commercial market. 

But that was the run-down Kitty Hawk thought about in his head.

For he had no idea where the hell he was, floating in space next to Siren Cubes.