✧ Prologue

The wind blew nice and slow outside of Havenfield's grand living room. Sophie smiled as her friends gathered around the long table, taking their designated seats and starting up a conversation.

Life was great in the Lost Cities. The Neverseen was off their backs, and the Black Swan got what they wanted. Sophie could finally lay down and relax, taking back the years of youth she lost.

And she got to spend it with Keefe! Her boyfriend, her everything, her entire world! With his tousled blond hair and sloppy but caring smirk and eyes that she could stare into for the end of time. 

Or, used to be able to. 

In the corner of her eye, she could see Keefe with his lopsided grin, clinking his glasses against everyone else's in a form of cheers. 

His eyes were bright as ever, and the heartfelt greetings came to a close when Keefe snarked up another comment about Tam's bangs. Tam shot Keefe back with a "atleast my hair doesn't look a bird's nest half of the time!" , to which Keefe retaliated to, causing a whole round of bickering as the rest laughed at the two boy's antics.

Keefe, the one who drew her spark. 

But that spark was dying out.

Replace by another, much more fierce. 

Her eyes drifted to milky brown hair, which was styled into an updo, and pinned with a gorgeous hair pin that was decorated with starstones.

A gift that she gave.

Her heart fluttered. She actually wore it, huh? 

The head of the brunette turned, and Sophie could now clearly see those beautiful teal eyes sparkling in the moonlight. 

Biana Vacker. A girl that was practically elvin royalty.

And her, the experiment.

And don't get Sophie wrong, she was grateful for whatever the Black Swan were doing in their little laboratories. It meant she got to meet all these amazing people, see all these amazing things, and see the world for what it really was.

But she couldn't help but feel like an outcast. The outcast.

And Sophie knew, no matter how hard she tried, Biana's eyes wouldn't look at her the same way hers did. 

Bile coated her tongue, but she forced it down, putting up a smile on her face as she walked into the dining room with bottles of drinks and beverages.

"Foster, I was just starting to get thirsty!" Keefe whined, pulling one of the bottles out of her hand in a swift motion. He popped the lid open, pouring the contents down his throat. He smiled in delight. "Shit Foster, where'd you get this stuff?" 

"Oh? That's soda, it's a human thing." she answered, setting the bottles on the milk white tablecloth. Tam scowled as Keefe reached for another bottle, which was also soda, but orange flavored.

"Hey, you can't hog all of it!" Tam grumbled. He snatched the bottle away from Keefe's hungry hands, and everyone else moved to do the same. Sophie snickered, and suddenly, all eyes were on her. 

Even Biana's. Who looked at her with such pure confusion and curiosity that left Sophie's heart pounding. 

"Don't worry, there's plenty for everyone." she pulled a seat for herself. A seat next to Biana, who smiled at her as though she was the only girl in the world.

Biana pulled a soda from the table, CocaCola, the label read. She turned to Sophie.

"Does this one taste good?" she asked. Sophie smiled, staring into those gorgeous, teal eyes, and God she felt like there was a whole universe behind them, those pupils that stared into her own. And then she came back to her senses, realizing that she should probably answer.

"Uh, yeah, it's got a kind of fizzy taste. But that one's orange flavored-" she pointed to a bottle of Fanta. "-so I think you'll like it more." 

Biana tilted her head, and Lord she looked adorable. "Oh, okay!" 

She reached over and put the Coke back where it was, replacing her hand with a bottle of Fanta. Sophie turned to the assortment of drinks. Which one should she take?

She reached over for a glass, and her fingertips grazed the cold, transparent item. 

Her movements halted as another hand brushed over hers. 

Biana's paled fingers gently rested atop hers, and Sophie's heart was hammering so fast, so fast she could barely think.

What is she doing? Is she... is this? Wait wait Sophie calm down-

And all too quickly, that warmth was gone, and Biana's fingertips pulled for another glass. She turned to Sophie with an apologetic smile. 

"Sorry, I was just reaching for a glass." she murmured. 

Oh. 

Oh. 

That's all. That's all there was to it.

And the butterflies in Sophie's stomach washed away as she watched Biana pour herself the bottle's contents and taking a sip. 

Her gut filled with dread, disappointment, sadness, anger, and hurt, so much hurt.

Because, Sophie knew, she knew damn well that Biana would never love her the way she did. 

But if she knew, why did she fall victim to that warm embrace every single time?

Tears burned at the back of her eyes. 

That was just how it was meant to be.

...

Word count: 845.

I swear this isn't an angst fic. They'll all get their happy ending, just wait. 

This is basically just a gay KOTLC fic where everyone is, you guessed it, gay!

That's all. Have a nice day/night!