Dragor

I'm in the study, practicing magic when there's a knock on the door. "Come in!" I call over my shoulder. I hear the heavy wooden door swing open.

"Darling!" The entering voice is my mother.

I set down the pot gently, as not to break it, before I turn to her. "Yes, Mother?"

"Super is ready, sweetheart. I wanted to escort you myself."

I smile. My mother can be very endearing, but I love her as much as she loves me. Hunith is probably the most caring person I've ever met. The only person that can even come close is her husband and my father and King of Dragor, Balinor. He is Lord of the Dragons and ruler of this kingdom. Not many other people like him, other than his own people. As he practices magic, as do I, his daughter. They think he is not worthy of nobility due to his magic and should be put to death. The most outspoken of these people is Uther, King of Camelot. "Thank you, Mother. I always enjoy surprise visits from you."

She smiles fondly at me and takes me under her arm. "We have good new for you," she says as we make our way to the dinner hall.

"Oh? And what would it be?" I ask suspiciously.

"You'll find out," Mother giggles.

I giggle with her. We find ourselves in the hall, with Father waiting patiently at the head of the table.

"My darling girls!" he bellows. "How was training?" he asks me.

"Wonderful. Talkien says I've made astouding progress." He is our Court Sorcerer.

"I'm glad to hear it! Before long, all I'll need to protect this kingdom are the two of you."

"Father stop!" I say, sitting. "You know that's not true. You have so many willing knights, sorcerers and dragons on your side since the Great Purge. You'll never need or have just the two of us."

"Of course you're right, Emrys."

Servants appear with platters of food to set in front of us, as well as goblets of wine. I eat for a moment, after thanking the servants, before Father begins speaking.

"I'm sure your mother had told you we have news."

I nod, sipping my wine. It burns my throat, but it's what we drink.

"Then, I guess it's time it is out. Emrys, we may be able to find peace with Camelot."

"Really? That's great news!"

"Yes it is. Uther has agreed to meet with us, on his terms. Arthur will be with him."

I'm starting to sense where this is going.

"We are planning to marry you off to Arthur."

"Excuse me!" I stand up knocking my chair to the ground. I knew that's where this was going to end up, but in all honestly, I hate the idea. "How can you do that to me? Uther would kill me! Do you realize that? He would have me burnt at the stake!"

"Not if he doesn't realize you have magic. It isn't well known outside our kingdom that you have magic, Emrys. Uther has no idea. Maybe you can sway Arthur to be more sympathetic so when he is king, things will change in Camelot."

"I can't believe you would do this to me. You're making me a prisoner." The tears have begun to flow by now. I am going to be trapped the rest of my life in a kingdom where magic is forbidden with the penalty of death.

"Emrys, things will not always be this way. It is up to you to change them. I thought you would be happy!"

I don't respond because I'm out of the dining hall and halfway up the stairs to my chambers. Crying I run past servants, pushing them out of my way. I can't think straight. How can they do this to me? They know magic means everything to me. Everything is awful, just plain awful.