Siege

Day pass and preparations to make way for Camelot are well on their way. The entire staff seems to be some part of the process. The cooks are preparing food for Father and I. The maids are making sure all our clothes are packed. The stable boys are grooming the horses as well as preparing saddle gear. The knights are training. Laundry is being washed. Shoes are being polished. Horseshoes are being made. Bridles polished. Hair combed. Bed made. It's all a great ordeal. I sit in my window sill, watching it all take place. I never thought this day would come. None of it seems possible.

"Tea, m'lady?" Arlya asks.

I wave her over. She pours me a cup and hands it carefully to me. I take a sip and it scalds my tongue. I lick my lips, trying to stave the heat.

"Is it too hot, m'lady?" Arlya asks anxiously.

"It's fine. Do not worry about it. I'm sure you have other duties to return to."

"Of course, m'lady." She bows and exits, leaving the teapot on the table towards the center of the room.

I blow on the hot liquid, staring out the window. So much is going on. It's all quite hard to keep track of. I take another sip of tea as a patrol of knights swoop through the courtyard. They seem to be in a very intense conversation. I see Father join them. He seems just as intense as the rest of them. Something about his face... Something is not right.

Father calls more guards and knights over to him. Before long, they are all off to go do something or other, but something is not right. I can hear shouting down the hallways. I can't quite make out what they are saying. But, it is defiantly not good.

As the day goes on, I stay by window. I really just don't want to do anything. I want to wallow in my misery and not be seen. Plenty goes on in the courtyard, more then I would think. It almost looks like the knights are preparing for war. The only other thing they could possibly doing by moving all those weapons is taking them to cleaning. That's the explanation I go with. Father wants everything to look good before we leave. I just hope it stays that way. I eat a little at dinner time, but by the time supper rolls around, I ravening.

"M'lady," Arlya says as she enters.

"Hello. Supper time is finally upon us."

She chuckles with me and goes to get a dress suitable for supper. She helps me change, brushes my hair, and powders my face.

"Arlya, I never tell you how happy I am to have you. On days like today, I can definatly see you are the best person I've ever known." I see her blush in the mirror.

"Thank you, m'lady." She ducks her head and continues brushing my hair.

I worry she doesn't understand that I am being one hundred percent honest with her right now. She is truly one the sweetest, kindest people I've ever known in my entire life and she serves me day in and day out without question. She is always there to comfort me. She is by my side in times of danger. She is the truest friend I could ask for. "I truly mean it, Arlya."

"I know you do, m'lady. Thank you. I truly appreciate it." She sets the brush on the vanity top. "There. You are ready."

I smile and give her my hand to help me stand. She follows just behind me. I am quick to notice the two guards and a knight, a knight I know very well, posted outside my chambers."Owen, what is going on? Am I under some kind of watch?" I ask the knight.

Owen is head of the knights. He is strong and skilled with a sword. I've never met someone as skilled as he, except maybe my father. He is also a very handsome man. He has a chiseled face with flowing locks of gold. His green eyes sparkle like emeralds. Part of me always wished for Owen. But, he is a chilvorous knight. He has always been polite to turn me down, but only after giving me some kind of clue that he would if he could. That might have been part of my reluctance to marry Arthur. I had truly hope that one day Owen and I might court and eventually marry.