Training Prince Arthur

I know Arthur had to be completely mortified with what I told him yesterday. So, today I'm giving him a chance to redeem himself. At least, that's my excuse. I get out of bed with a new vigor. I dress in my training clothes. I tie the pants tight and my hair up into a knot. Out the window, I can see Arthur is the only knight up at the moment. This is the perfect time. I tuck my sword in my belt and head out.

"Where do you think you're going?" I whip around to find Gaius sitting at the table eating a bowl of soup. I can't believe he's actually up this early.

"I'm going to train," I say, placing a hand on the hilt of my sword.

"Merlin, you can't just go doing things you would normally do at home. You are supposed to be a physician in training. Seeing you with a sword would put Uther off our story. We need him to believe it until the siege is up."

"I'm going training. There's nothing you can do to stop me." I turn on my heel refusing to let Gaius have another word on the subject. I hurry out of the palace to the courtyard where Arthur is whacking away at a dummy stuffed with straw.

"Doesn't that belong in a corn field?"

I think I startle Arthur because he whips around, pointing his sword at me. "Merlin," Arthur sighs, relaxing his stance. "What are you doing here? Doesn't Gaius need you help or something?"

I shake my head. "Not this early in the morning. He's still sleeping. I thought I'd work on my sword play." I spin my sword in my head, testing a position.

Arthur's laugh sets me off. He must think I can't do anything with a sword. I guess I'll have to prove him wrong. "I mean no offence, Merlin, but really? Aren't you a scientist? Not a swordsman... woman..." Arthur shakes his head.

"You willing to fight me?" I swing the sword and settle into my comfortable beginning position.

Arthur scoffs. "It will be too easy." He swings into his own beginning position. It doesn't take long to analyze how he will start and what way he will go.

"Don't go easy," I taunt. A little teasing never did anyone any harm.

"If that's what you wish." Arthur hauls his sword at me. I duck out the way and slash back. Arthur deflects from behind him and spins around to meet me. I bounce on the balls of my feet before launching my next attack. He parries, almost too easily it seems. I can't let him win. We go a few more rounds like this before I find my opportunity. I strike at his hilt. The blow is strong enough to send his sword to the ground. He stumbles a moment, stunned, before I kick his legs out from under him, sending him to the ground. He holds up his hands, glaring angrily at the blade pointed at his throat.

"Impressive, Merlin," he seethes.

"Thanks," I say, with a little attitude. I mean, come on. I just beat Camelot's best swordsman. I relax my stance and hold out a hand to help Arthur up.

He grunts and rolls away from me. He hops to his feet on his own.

"Prat," I mumble under my breath. He sheaths his sword and brushes the dirt from his clothes. I catch his glaring look every once and a while as I walk back to the palace. That was plenty of training for one day.

I get some strange looks as I walk through the palace. More people are up and about since it is later in the day. There's also the fact that I am suppose to be a training physician. A training physician doesn't walk around with a sword at her hip. As I enter Grandfather's chambers, I begin to wonder about Owen: where he is, what he's doing.

"Finally. I saw what you did, Merlin."

"Grandfather-" He gives me a look like I have no words that will change what he thinks of the matter. "Fine. What do you need of me?"