Chapter 2

Oakley sat quietly through class, doodling as she watched her laptop type what her teacher said, his words appearing on her page. Her fingers twirled the pen in her grasp as she looked up at the slides. She could hear the jocks in the back of the class blabbering on about god knows what. She rolled her eyes before looking up at some footage from the time.

There across the projector was Captain America himself along with his team. The camera panned and focused on the other members that her teacher named as they appeared.

"And lastly we have Cap's right-hand man, James Barnes." their teacher announced as the man appeared on the screen. Oakley looked at him and furrowed her brows, something clicking in her head. Her pen moved as she stared at the man projected in front of her, almost zoning out at the figure.

"Didn't he lose his left hand?" Colton joked, receiving praise from his friends around him. Their laughter became muffled and muted as Oakley's consciousness converted to something unknown to her.

She was in a dark space, the walls stone and the grounds cement as the large steel door opened. He walked in, the metal arm strapped to his figure glinting in the low light. He pulled out a knife, throwing it across the floor before it slid to a stop in front of her. She knew what he meant as he stared at her, his blue eyes piercing. She picked up the knife her own eyes turning blue as-

"Oak?" Peter asked, gently shaking her shoulder. She jumped, her eyes blinking as she looked down at the notebook in front of her. A star-filled the whole page, the lines drawn over so much it ripped down to the next. Oakley turned to him, blinking a tad more. "You okay?" he asked gently. She nodded, regaining herself but her expression remained confused.

"Yeah I'm good," she said gently, smiling a tad. She looked back up to the projector as it was turned off.

"Your assignment is to do a paper on any member of the Howling Commandos. You can work in pairs or by yourself. It's your choice." their teacher explained.

"You wanna pair up?" Peter asked softly, leaning his head towards her.

Oakley smiled and nodded. "Sure," she said softly.

Peter's face lit up as he wrote the assignment down in his own words. "I think I have a way to get us extra marks," he paused, his thoughts clicking together. "You're gonna have to trust me," he said, scanning her face.

Oakley looked over at him and nodded in assurance as she ended her recording. "I trust you more than anyone. Well not as much as my brother but," she chuckled ever so slightly. "You're still high on my list," she spoke softly, a small smile painted on her face.