Chapter 18

Oakley woke on the cement floor, her head pounding. She didnt remember falling asleep in the van. There was only one window in the small cell, the crack of light shining into the cold cube. She slowly sat up and her eyes wandered, her jaw clenching up as she looked at the small bed.

It was too small for her, the blankets fit for a child. Now that she noticed, everything in here was for a kid. She clawed over to the mattress and knealed as she picked up a dusty teddy. One eye was missing and the other hung by a few threads. She brushed the dust off the worn out felt and squeezed what was left of the teddy bear. Some stuffing fell out of the left arm hole, the arm discarded on the floor.

Oakley's eyes lit up and tears beaded in her eyes, her finger tips ghosting over the open spot. "You were mine...." she whispered, tears falling as she shifted and leaned against the wall. She looked at the wall beside her and reached over. The stone was all scratched up and doodled on. "I..." she breathed, pulling the bear into her chest as tears rolled down her cheeks. She was alone.

She froze and her eyes widened. She was alone. Oakley sat up straight and looked around. "J-jamie!" she called out, panic filling her thoughts. "J-jamie!? Where are you!" she yelled. She heard a few knocking from the other side of the wall and turned to it. The knocking.. "Jamie?" she whispered.

"Yeah its me.." Jamie spoke, looking through a crack in the wall. Oakley turned and looked through it and back at him, "You okay?" he asked.

"Are you okay?!" she whispered yelled. "Y-you were almost shot, your arm-" she stopped herself, her breathe leaving her. "No.. fuck I got Skylar shot.. I got my friend shot," she rambled.

"Hey hey hey," Jamie tapped on the wall, his eyes widening. "Y-you saved me whatever you did-"

"Skylar's dead!" Oakley snapped, her eyes flashing blue as she clutched onto the bear. "I decided to snoop and... and now..."

"All this shit started happening long before us," Jamie huffed, brushing his hair out of his face. "We dont even know the full story of everything... all we know is..." he paused, looking up at the ceiling. "What.. what exactly do we know?" he hesitantly asked.

"Mom... mom is HYDRA and.. And our dad is James Barnes," Oakley sniffled, wiping her cheeks. "And you called me crazy.." she mumbled.

"I didnt!" he sighed. "I didnt call you crazy I.. fuck how do we get out of this?" he asked.

Oakley shrugged, slumping in the corner. "I dont know..." she whispered. "I really don't know anything anymore..." she muttered. She heard her brother shift and shuffle on the otherside.

Jamie leaned on the wall and winced, tightening the makeshift bandage around his arm. "Do you have any idea how you saved me back there?"

"Nope."

Oakley and Jamie sat in silence for what felt like hours. They switched off so one could get some sleep but it was restless.

She leaned against the wall, her knees up to her chest as played with the loose strings on the bear. She played with it so much the other eye finally fell off. She watched it fall onto the pavement and just stared, her thumbs rubbing along the same spots.

Footsteps clicked her out of her trance and she jumped onto her feet, dropping the kids toy at her feet. The cell doors opened and in walked to armed soldiers. They stayed silent as her mother walked in.

Lyra held her hands in her pockets, her head held high as she watched her own daughter sink into the corner. "I see you got reacquainted with your old bedroom," she said gently, her voice venom. "It's time to get back into things,"

"I'm not listening, to anything you have to say," Oakley snapped, glaring at her mother. On the otherside of the wall, Jamie woke up slowly from the noise.

"Oh I was expecting that from you, since you were young you were defying me," Lyra exhaled, walking towards her. "Even when you admired your father-"

"You brainwashed him," Oakley snarled, clenching her fists. "You- did he even want us," she whispered.

Lyra stared at her before laughing maniakly, holding her chest before scoffing. "Oh wow you're going there," she sighed. "My sweet sweet girl," she said softly. "You have no idea,"