Cassie

The kitchen tile felt cool beneath me. There I sat, on my kitchen floor, clutching a tub of cookies and cream ice cream for dear life. The pain in my head was unbearable, and my body ached as much as my heart. I felt humiliated, stupid, and utterly lost, wondering how I'd ended up in this miserable ass state. 

As I sighed and spooned ice cream into my mouth, Blake worked his culinary magic at the stove, frying up some eggs in one of my burnt skillets. He glanced over at me, his expression a mix of concern and understanding. 

"You look like you've had better days, Cass."

I nodded, still nursing my throbbing head. "Yeah, better days and way better nights."

"Cass, your pans look like they've been through a war," he teased, casting a pointed glance at the burnt pan on the stove.

I groaned in response, feeling every bit as battered as my sad cookware. It wasn't exactly a secret that I couldn't cook. "Yeah, well, at least they've seen better days than me - not to mention, you're the one scratching up my pan with a fork."

Blake shot me a look over his shoulder. "You have one spatuala and it's dirty - not to mention, the corners are melted," he mocked lightly.

"I forgot it was plastic," I mumbled to myself while shoveling another spoonful of cookies and cream into my mouth. 

Blake snorted returning his attention back to the pan. "You sure you don't want some of these for breakfast?"

I shook my head, pouting. "No. Being cheated on the day before Valentine's Day means I get icecream for breakfast."

"He's an idiot, Cass."

I looked up, watching as Blake turned off the stove and carefully manuvered the contents of the pan onto a pink plastic plate from the shelf above him. 

"You really shouldn't keep plastic above the stove." Walking to the sink, he rinsed off the fork he used for the eggs before stabbing a bite and lifting it to his mouth. 

I sighed. "I know. I'm full of stupid mistakes lately."

Blake lowered himself down on the tile, sitting opposite of me. 

"In April of 2016, the world stopped."

My brows knitted together not sure where he was going with this. 

He continued, ignoring my confusion. "When Beyonce Giselle Knowles- Carter released the crittically acclaimed visual album, Lemonade."

I sighed again. That's where he was going with this. 

"By just the first track alone, she told the entire world that her husband had cheated on her."

I raised another spoonful to my mouth meeting Blake's pointed look head on. 

"I'm no Beyonce, Blake."

"By track 12, the world knew that "Becky with the good hair" was just a chapter of her life and would never really define her."

I averted my eyes, looking down at my empty bowl. "He texted me last night..."

He raised a brow at me and resumed eating his breakfast. 

"What did he say?" Blake inquired between bites, raising a brow. 

I tucked a loose braid behind my ear. "The usual shit," I answered gruffly. 

Blake rose from the floor, plate in hand, placing it in the sink. He turned, taking my empty bowl to place in the sink as well, before reaching for the dish soap.