Chapter 3

Alaiya's tiny palm dangles in my hand as she skips through Sydney Australia, Her golden brown locks are in adorable space buns. Today is one of those days that she actually let me do her hair for more than 5 minutes which is practically a miracle but it is hot these days so I can't blame her.
Alaiya's heart shaped face, rosebud lips and cute button nose scrunch up as she looks back at me, probably wondering why I'm not walking faster. She might look cute but I've long since learned not to let that fool me, she's a demon in disguise when she wants to be.
I walk faster if only to be out of the sun because the hat and sunglasses I have on are doing absolutely nothing for this heat. It's barely even march and it's already unbearable. This morning I put on a whole pound of sunscreen on myself and Aiya before even daring to leave the house, my skin and the sun are not friends. My skin has always been sensitive and as a child on a hot summer day, not even all the sunscreen in the world could protect me from turning into a damn tomato.
I'm not risking my daughter on the of chance she got my condition, when she's older she'll thank me but I don't think Alaiya appreciated all the fussing today. But I also couldn't cancel today, not when it's the only day of the week I get to spend time with her I already feel terrible because I'm always busy, always working. So whenever I have a rare off day I make sure to spend it doing something fun together plus I learned real quick that you have to appreciate all the time you have especially as a child and knowing every last moment could be your very last.
I'm only glad Aiya never has to experience anything like that. Cue why I'm at the mall in a day when we should be inside the house with the AC on full blast. We walk past BUILDABEAR and through the glass you could see all the kids either fighting over what clothes to pick or shrieking in joy, I fight my grimace I feel bad for the employees ears.
Aiya peeks inside her eyes going wide.
Oh no.
That face only ever means one thing.
Fuck
Puppy dog eyes stare back at me as she juts her lower lip out in a pout.
"Mama can we-"
The rest of that sentence is lost as something distracts her and she turns to our original destination and she freezes for a second, as if deciding what she wants. Thankfully her stomach wins out in the end, I love her but I'm not about to buy an overpriced bear she'll probably forget by the time this week ends.
Aiya's face could be the look a soldier going to battle with the amount of determination set in her jaw, she practically drags me across the mall to the store.
"GELATO! MAMA GELATO."
I laugh at her antics and damn.
When did my baby get so strong, it was just like yesterday that I checked out of the hospital. Her fragile little body cuddled against mine with that sweet scent all newborns have, innocent to the world aiya's tiny fingers curled against my pointer finger as she slept.
Her persistent tugging brings me back to reality.
I open the door for us, the gelatos shop is quaint and cozy it's all decorated in pastel tones but it has a charming old school Italian vibe that makes that makes you feel like your visiting your nonnas house.
We wait in line Alaiya is practically buzzing with energy, on second thought maybe gelato isn't a really good idea but. Oh well I'll deal with the extra energy later.
Her smile is so wide as she takes in all the flavors that if she keeps it up her cheeks will hurt later. I have to hold her hand in mine to make sure she doesn't run of or skipping the line entirely.
"Gelato, gelato, gelato."
I honestly can't tell if she's singing or chanting the word but it's probably the latter. I've never understood her obsession with the dessert but she would probably eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner if she could.
After getting our gelato we take it to a bench, I got a pistachio while aiya got a mix of strawberry and chocolate we were barely seated when I look back at aiya and raise an amused brow, this girl. This devilish little girl had managed to scarf down half of the damn dessert by the time it took to get seated.
Impressive
And slightly concerning.
"Do you like it?"
She nods "Yesterday we had a pizza party at school." Aiya sighs
"Mrs.Penner got ice cream for allllll of us. But gelato still tastes better." A pause
"can we take some for later?"
I snort.
"Keep wishing."
Her tongue sticks out. "That's not fair."
_______________________________________________________________