Chapter 7: Answering Objections - The Art of Building Trust

When you're in the thick of a sale, one thing is for sure: objections will come up. The thing is, not all objections are created equal. In this chapter, we'll dive into how to differentiate between complaints and real objections, how to navigate them, and the tactics that work best for effective resolution.

Unearthing Real Objections

First off, let's get one thing straight; recognizing real objections is the cornerstone of your sales process. Sure, a customer might say something like, "The price seems high," or "I'm not sure about the fuel efficiency." While these are genuine concerns, they're often just scratching the surface of deeper uncertainties. The initial objection serves as a comfort zone for the customer, a 'safe' way to express doubt. It's your job as a salesperson to dig deeper, to get at what's really gnawing at them. Once you unearth that, you can provide solutions that resonate on a personal level.

The Feel, Felt, Found Method

One surefire way to navigate objections is using the "Feel, Felt, Found" approach. This technique not only recognizes the customer's concern but also leverages the experiences of others to ease that worry. For instance, if a customer is apprehensive about fuel efficiency, your response could be, "I completely get why you'd feel that way about fuel efficiency. A lot of other customers have felt the same. What they found, however, was that this car's fuel efficiency actually surpassed their initial expectations." By framing the objection as a common concern that's been resolved satisfactorily for others, you're paving the way for a more meaningful connection.

The LEAD Method: Listen, Empathize, Acknowledge, Deliver

To make sure we're ticking all the boxes, let's introduce the LEAD method:

- Listen: Let the customer speak without interruption. Understanding is the first step in resolution.

- Empathize: Show you're on their side. Empathy builds rapport; sympathy undermines it.

- Acknowledge: Repeat their concern, ensuring they feel heard. "So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you're concerned about X?"

- Deliver: Here's where you resolve the objection. With a combination of strong product knowledge and rapport, you can address their concerns convincingly.

Before moving to the next step, seize this moment to confirm the customer's intent. Ask, "Since we've covered all the bases and this vehicle ticks off all your boxes, if we can work out the numbers to fit your terms, can we earn your business today?" It's a simple but effective way to transition the process while keeping the customer engaged.

Why This Matters

Mastering the art of handling objections is not just about overcoming hurdles; it's about building a relationship grounded in mutual understanding and trust. Use these strategies to not only close the deal but make a lasting connection.

In the next chapter, we'll delve into the nitty-gritty details of the deal. Because when it comes to closing, details make the difference.