Chapter 6

Giyu Tomioka

"How did you manage to get a trainee? And how does that person manage to deal with you?" Iguro snapped. I had tried to talk to him but apparently I was awful at being social.

"Don't be so mean Obanai!" Kanroji squealed, stopping her practice with the sword. If only Kocho cooperated so well.

"Of course Mitsuri-ahem, um, good for you Tomioka." Iguro muttered.

The area we were in was another trainer center. It was a hidden place inside a Home Depot, filled with some of the best equipment. It was often scheduled full, but the master managed to get a spot for two hours. Why wasn't Kocho coming sooner? Every moment here is precious! Did she know how much Chief Kayaga had to depend in order to get us here?

"Hey! Tomioka!" Shinobu hollered, running towards us. Behind her was Shinazugawa and Kocho.

"Tomioka! What a pleasure to see you!" Kocho smiled and looked at Shinobu. "Don't cause too much ruckus, Shinobu!" Then she and Shinazugawa walked off, talking about endless things I will never understand.

"Soooooooooooooooo. What are you going to train me on today, Tomioka?" Shinobu asked.

"How about Kanroji trains you?" I suggested. Much as I didn't want to admit so, I needed a break from the 'teaching' part of the job. With this rate, I might as well quit. But as much as the idea pleased me, I couldn't.

"Kyaaaa! Shinobu!" Kanroji squealed. Shinobu smiled, a huge smile that illuminated her entire face, and ran up and hugged Kanroji.

"You're here!" Shinobu shrieked.

"Yea! You're in this unit too! Oh wait, you're still a second year, I forgot. Anyway, you're way ahead. Only fourth years are supposed to be with spies to train! Anyway, a unit is what is sounds like, a unit of spies with very different sets of talents grouped together to learn from each other, become friends, etc! Since you're training with spies in this unit, you'll probably end up working in this unit."

Kanroji make this sound so damn cheerful.

"Oh! That's nice!" Shinobu said brightly.

"Hey Tomioka! Your phone rang! Come pick it up before I smash it with the hammer!" Shinazugawa screamed. I sighed. Fry my brain, die. I walked over to Shinazugawa and snatched the phone away.

"Hello? Andromeda, if it's you prank calling me again-" I asked, picking up the call.

"Agent Tomioka. You're sister's in the ER. Code 147. Found unconscious by her office. Signs of fighting and gunshots. Repeat, come now."

Holy crap. This isn't a prank call.

I shot out of the training rink, climbing out the vent in the back and running out the Home Depot like a mad man. Everyone watched me as I raced into the parking lot.

"Tomioka!" I turned around and saw Shinobu holding my bags and running after me.

"Don't forget these." She said, putting them in the back of my truck.

"Thanks." I muttered, clambering into my truck as she sat in the seat beside me.

"Calm down, and tell me what happened." Shinobu said.

"My sister was shot in the head."

***

I stood anxiously in the hall, waiting for news about my sister.

"Tough girl. But I'm not surprised. We don't have any news on what's going on yet, she's still in surgery." The nurse said, looking at me sympathetically. I felt angry. Who was she to fucking tell me how I should feel.

"Sit down." Shinobu ordered and I sat down, sulking. She sat beside me and patted my leg.

"I know you don't need sympathy right now, but whatever happens, I'll be here for you."

We were both silent for a while.

"Y'know, this job isn't just a job for those who look for a get away job. You need passion and determination. You're sister has so much of that." Shinobu said. She smiled. "If she's even as half as tough as you, I bet she can make it through."

"When did you become wise AND kind?" I muttered. She laughed.

"Try and treasure it. Tomorrow I'm going back to bring an asshole." Then she stood up and left.

***

"I understand." Chief Kayaga said kindly. "Family comes first. You also do need to make sure one of our fellow spies are in good shape. If you need a break from Kocho tomorrow-"

"Naw, I can handle her." I said. She deserved her trainer to be there after all the kind things she said. May I regret saying that later in my life.

"You're sister's out of surgery. The bullet was pretty clean, so she should be okay for recovery training in a week or so." The nurse said. She looked a5 me shyly. "While I'm still here, talking, wanna get a coffee sometime?"

"I'm more of a tea person." I responded, pushing past her."

"Well, we could go to the tea shop!" She said, flustered.

"Take a hint, dummy! My brother wouldn't decline coffee for the world, unless he doesn't like you, and he hates tea, got it?" My sister screamed. Yup, that's definitely her.

"Hey lil bro. Did you break a few hearts while I was asleep? Atta boy! If anyone gives you a hard time, tell me I respect them to the bottom of my heart. Now pep talk sesh is over. What do you want?" Tsutako asked as I approached her bed cautiously.

"Seeing if you're okay." I said.

"Pfffffffft! I don't need to be checked up on! I'm fine! Now leave! They're sending my chocolate pudding and it's the only good hospital food here. If I'm staying for a week, I want to be able to eat what I want." I hurried out of the hospital in relief. That was my sister, alive and well alright.

***

I returned home right after, plopping on the couch. I realized Shinobu hadn't taken her clothes with her. Grumbling, I put them in a plastic bag and was going to call her...

Wait. I'll just keep them and use it when necessary. Tossing it in the storage along with my other stuff, I sat down, irritated we didn't get to use the specialized training arena today.

"Oh well, there's always next time?" I kept up and saw Shinobu stand behind me.

"What are you doing here!" I yelped.

"Getting my clothes I saw you toss into your storage. Did you think you would use them to blackmail me or something? Too bad, it doesn't work that way. Also, for an apartment complex completely filled with spies, wouldn't you think the security would be much tighter around here?" Shinobu asked.

God, I was really regretting not taking tomorrow off.