013

To settle the Fushiguro kids in, Satoru had given up the guest room. He even bought an extra bed so they could have their own.

A temporary solution to a permanent issue. The two-bedroom apartment that you could only afford wasn't going to be big enough permanently.

Satoru threw his pillow and blanket down onto the couch.

You walked over, half asleep after sending the kids to bed. It was their first official night in the guest room set up to cater to them both.

He turned towards the sound of your shuffling feet expecting you to go straight to your room but you don't. Instead, you're walking right towards him.

He doesn't say anything waiting for you to make the first move.

You glance down at the nest that he was building trying to make your slightly uncomfortable couch good enough to sleep on.

"What are you doing?" You asked him.

He stared at you wondering if you were being serious. It was obvious what he was doing. You looked back up at him expecting a response.

Satoru almost doesn't give you one.

"Setting up my bed." He motioned towards what he had going on.

"Why are you sleeping here?" You looked back down at the mess of blankets.

You were aware that the couch that you had bought wasn't comfortable enough to sleep on. It was all you could afford at the time and it served its job. Except for the time you painfully learned a lesson, to not fall asleep on it no matter what.

"Tsumiki and Megumi have my room." He pointed out the obvious.

"You don't have to sleep here. I know it's uncomfortable." You knew what you were getting at and so did he. But Satoru wasn't going to give in until you said it clearly.

He didn't respond, ignoring what you were insinuating. You sighed.

"Come on, don't make me say it." You mumbled and to no one's surprise, he still ignored you.

"I'm not going to mention it again." You threatened but it was no use. Satoru would be fine sleeping on the thin cushions if he had to. But you weren't okay with that and he knew that.

"Satoru," His name slipped out your mouth in a whisper. Almost as if you were unsure of how to say it. For the first time you had called him something other than his surname.

You were unsure of what you had said until you noticed him turn his head. Satoru was staring at you, unable to ignore you anymore.

"I'm sorry," You apologized figuring you overstepped the invisible boundaries you had set.

"Why are you apologizing?" He asked you.

You didn't think it through because you couldn't even answer his question.

"Just stay the night in my room." You were defeated. Not wanting to avoid it, you already made a fool of yourself.

Satoru still hadn't moved past you finally saying his name. He had expected you to continue calling him by his surname even when you were old and gray. Mostly to spite him but also because

The years you both lost weren't coming back but at least now there was time to restart. To finally become true friends, there was something different from being friends in your youth to now.

There wasn't the same sense of self-centered arrogance.

"Only because you're so desperate." Satoru teased lightening the tense mood. You cracked a smile and his goal was achieved.