017

Your conversation with Suguru had been stuck in your head, repeating over and over like a broken record.

It didn't help that ever since you had grown reclusive. Worst than when you first left campus to live on your own for the first time.

Satoru couldn't dance around it anymore. Whatever it was that's been bothering you was eating away at you. He worried if he didn't react soon enough you would suffer the same fate as Suguru.

When he walked into your shared room with him he hadn't expected to see you curled up into a ball against the headboard.

Your body was tucked into itself with your face buried into your knees. He stared at you for a moment unsure of what to do. As he approached you, he noticed something else. Your shoulders were shaking with each breath you took.

Satoru walked over much quicker at the realization. He sat down on your side of the bed. Unlike all the other times he didn't hesitate.

His hand reached out for you gently onto your back. Each time he moved he did so slowly. Both are afraid of overstepping your boundaries and giving you the time to react.

For someone like Satoru, it felt exceptionally strange to be treated so gently.

Despite all of it, Satoru had never seen this. He had never seen you cry before. You were careful to never let him anything beyond a frown or the sad look in your eyes.

When you spent every night curled up in his bed after Suguru left you didn't cry then or after.

Words wouldn't be enough, he didn't know what someone was supposed to say in this predicament. Satoru's hand hesitantly rubbed up and down your back in an attempt to comfort you.

All he got in response were your cries growing louder as you tried to silence them. You chewed at your cheeks forcing yourself to choke on your tears.

A pathetic feeling rose in your chest, you couldn't help but let it win. You pushed him away not wanting him to see you like this.

He allowed you, letting you slip out of his arms. You roughly wiped at your face clearing it up.

"Satoru?" You said shakily. This wasn't the same Satoru who had let you walk off of Jujustu Tech without a fight or second thought.

You had to remind yourself that. Satoru wasn't going to be phased by a few snotty tears.

Not even after you spent nearly every night in the previous year with him, comforting him even.

You couldn't force someone to change, they needed to do it themselves.

But nearly a year had passed from the moment you left campus and yet so much changed. This time around he was willing to fight for you.

He hummed in response to his name. You looked up at him ignoring your vision that was clouded by tears.

"Do you think this is all pointless? The fighting, the pretending, all of it." You asked him.

You had no regrets about trying to save people. Your regret lay with the fact you weren't just saving people.

Instead, there were dozens of times when they sent you out against curse users; humans.

Saving people wasn't what you had wanted to do. No child should weigh being responsible for life or death even in others.

While it went from doing your missions out of obligation you were able to enjoy helping people.

So, no you didn't believe in Suguru's flawed ideology. People aren't monkeys or worth less than a sorcerer.

Tsumiki was someone Suguru would've classified as a monkey yet she was the strongest girl you had ever met. With a big heart, she still viewed the world positively despite it failing her.