seventy-four ➵ alliances in crime

Dear Reese,

I'm not sure how I should explain this to you. There hasn't been a day I haven't thought about how I let you down. I should have been there. I should have fought to keep you, back then. But I think Diane was right. I don't think I was fit to be the dad you deserved. I've been thinking about that a lot.

Joyce explained it to me. How lucky I've been to get you back. I need you to know how much I appreciate you giving me that second chance. It's tough, with El too, but I'm constantly afraid I'll let you down. You've grown into such a mature young woman. I just regret I wasn't able to be there when you needed me, and that I couldn't see you become the woman I'm so proud to call my daughter.

But I'm here now. I want to be, I will be. You can't get rid of your dear old dad this quickly. I love you. Thank you for coming back into my life, even if it's a mess. There's nobody who I think could handle it like you.

You've grown into an amazing sister, I only wish your mom and Sara would be around to see you. I'm so proud of you.

Due to the lives and situations we now find ourselves in, and seeing everything that has happened before, I thought formal legal papers would be a good idea. Now, I hope you didn't feel the need to kill me for some of these decisions. College will be important for you. If it's not your path, fine, but do at least a year. Test it out in a way I never did. In a way your mother didn't manage it. Have a better shot than I did. Your brain works with school, take advantage of it. Diane can help with the money if you need it. Just please, God, please, do not feel the need to pay for it with some sort of medical experiment.

Please don't hate me for designating Joyce as El's guardian. I want you to concentrate on a degree if that's what you choose. It's your choice if you'd like to move in with them or not. But I hope you do. She's great.

I love you, Teresa. There'll be another letter once you're twenty-one. Have a great time at college. I always knew you were the smartest kid I'd ever meet.

I love you so much, kid. You're one in a million. Go kick some ass.

Love, dad

──────

Almost one month later
July, 1985

"How did it go?" Steve asked before Reese could even say hello, the group waiting in the diner for her to arrive back from Indianapolis.

    Without saying anything, Teresa slid into the booth beside Jonathan, pulling at the shirt that had been suffocating her all day. Loosening the tie, she undid the top button, letting out a scoff as she put the leather bound notebook and papers onto the grimy table. "We won."

    The table let out a yell of congratulations, having lost sight of why exactly it was so important.

    It turns out planning revenge for two and a half years down to the last detail pays off.

    "All right, all right," she chuckled with a small smile, nudging Jonathan back as he did the same to her. "Have you ordered? I'm starving, and I still have to change before I pick up Max to set off for California."

    The burgers arrived within minutes, Teresa completely disregarding her smartest, dry-clean only clothes as she tucked into a cheeseburger. Nancy and Steve opposite her watching with small, but admittedly proud smiles as she recounted every single moment of the negotiations and hearings of Beth, Susan, and Neil Hargrove, in the works for over a month.