twenty-six ➵ friendly neighborhood barbarian

Night had fallen by the time Max felt comfortable enough to start asking questions. It wasn't that she was any more convinced about the story of last year being true, but she did find it odd that a boy of Teresa's and her stepbrother's age was helping two middle schoolers.

Barricaded in the bus, the only sounds had so far been Steve lifting the lid of the zippo, lighting it, then closing it. The repetition was starting to drive Max crazy.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" Steve gave a nod in response to the girl's question, continuing his movement. "And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?"

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay?" Dustin sighed, stopping his pacing. "It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

"Geesh. Someone's cranky," Max replied in the same tone. "Past your bedtime?" she asked as she climbed up to the top on the ladder.

"That's good. Just show her you don't care," Steve nodded as she disappeared, satisfied to see Dustin following his advice. At least someone trusted him and believed in him.

"I don't," Dustin disagreed, but Steve just winked knowingly. "Why are you winking Steve? Stop!"

The bus fell into a tense quiet once more, but even the flicking of the zippo didn't manage to put Steve at ease. His mind kept going back to Teresa and Nancy, unsure where they could have disappeared to. Unsure if he would be able to see them soon.

Then they were all brought out of the moment by a deep growl then screech that wiggled its way through the cracks of the bus' barricades.

"Shit."

"You see him?"

"No."

The fog was thick, the pile of meat barely visible. Dustin raised his voice to be heard by the two up top. "Lucas, what's going on?"

"Hold on!"

The low growl reverberated through the bus again, making Steve shiver.

"I've got eyes!" came Lucas' yell. "Ten o'clock!"

Following Lucas' direction, the two in the bus looked into the distance. "There," Steve suddenly spoke, pointing out the shape.

"What's he doing?" Dustin asked, watching the figure stop and lift its head as if it was sniffing the air.

"I don't know," Steve replied, watching as the dog lingered in the fog but made no move. "Why is it not taking the bait?"

"Maybe he's not hungry?" Dustin guessed, completely missing the way his babysitter was deep in his thoughts about potential solutions.

"Maybe he's sick of cow," Steve mumbled, reaching behind him for his bat.

"Steve? Steve, what are you doing?" Dustin asked, although he'd realised already what the boy's plan was.

"Just get ready," Steve passed his lighter to the boy before he stepped aside and opened the door of the bus.

With the bat raised, Steve Harrington stepped out of the barricaded bus, letting the door close behind him. His eyes were roving the scrapyard, then were placed firmly on Dart. A shrill whistle left his lips, echoing in the fog of the scrapyard and attracting the attention of the dog-like creature. "Come on, buddy!"

Inside the bus, Max made it down the ladder leaving Lucas to be their eyes up top. She crawled into the space Steve left behind, watching from beside Dustin as Steve tried to be a hero.