002

"that's against the rules!"

trevor stands in front of the car, refusing to get in, his arms flailing dramatically at me. "you can't reserve shotgun. it's like a known thing." he pouts, crossing his arms over his chest. "jack, i thought we were bros."

"don't get me involved in this," jack laughs, walking around to open the passenger door for me. trevor's jaw drops, watching me climb onto the seat, his seat.

"c'mon trevor, stop being a baby." charlotte whines, waiting for him to get in so they can start driving.

"you guys are going to switch anyways." luke chimes in, already situated in his spot, a pillow propped up against the window for his head.

"this is ridiculous," trevor grumbles, begrudgingly climbing into the car.

"i don't even know why you're complaining, i'm the one that's stuck in the middle." charlotte's eyes roll, shoving her bag behind her, and into the connecting trunk. "no manspreading." she points at both of the boys, a serious expression now on her face.

"everyone good?" jack asks, starting the car, ready to drive. the drive to quinn and colton's college, university of michigan, was an hour away. but practice ran a little late for all of us, the zambonis had a maintenance check and we had to wait before getting on the ice. traffic was going to add at least another hour or two.

"any recommendations?" i ask, pulling my seatbelt over my chest before grabbing the aux cord and sticking it into my phone. i glance back at them, watching luke's mouth open, "no. i'll die if i have to spend the trip listening to your bad soundcloud rapper friends." i cut him off.

"it's called supporting, starburst. burst, because you burst my dreams." he sticks his tongue out at me, childishly turning towards the window with his arms crossed.

"just put on our shared playlist." charlotte suggests, wiggling uncomfortably in her seat. "can you move your arm," she scoffs, nudging trevor's arm that happens to be taking up her space.

"where am i supposed to put it, smart ass," he replies, to which she just shrugs, shoving him away.

is this what flirting looks like nowadays? i couldn't help but smile, they were both so blind. charlotte came to me late at night, her feelings about him spilling out as we cuddled on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate. i had told her about the small feelings i had for jack that night as well, only for her to laugh in my face and tell me it was obvious.

jack and i have gotten closer just recently, there was a weird gap when we didn't talk. at all. growing up he was my best friend before luke, we were attached at the hip, and oftentimes times luke cried about not being included in things. but he had ignored me all summer one year, spending his time with the older boys. it hurt my little thirteen-year-old heart, it was like he was too good to hang out with a girl. with me.

we didn't talk again until NTDP and ODP the following year. we shared the same classes, our lockers were even next to each other. i like to think that the universe was telling us to stop the petty party we had started. eventually, we started talking again, hanging out outside of school, and making an effort to see each other. we never talked about the odd break, not even mentioning it.

"fucking traffic," jack huffed from beside me, tapping his thumb against the steering wheel. we had barely got on the freeway, but lines of cars were wedged together, bumper to bumper.

"more time to talk, i guess." i say, stretching my arms above my head with a groan.

i hum to the beat of the song quietly, turning my head slightly to look at jack, watching his eyes flicker to his review mirror, a smile growing. my eyes linger on his lips a little longer than they should, quickly turning to stare out the window when he glances at me.