i

"thank you, everyone, for joining us in celebration tonight," my dad announced into the microphone. he stood in the middle of the stage-like platform in our living room, leaning against his 1910 steinway model B—the most prized possession kept in the house. the sunset was on full display in the panoramic window behind him, illuminating his whiting-auburn hair and casting a warm glow over the objects and people in the room.

"to accept an award of this significance...it is such an honor. i thank you all for your generous support and pray you all enjoy your evening," he continued, admiring the silver statue sat atop a small pedestal next to the piano, a fitting place considering the award was given to him for his craftsmanship with the instrument. "so please—mingle, eat, and have a good time."

i snagged two glasses of champagne from one of the servers and made my way up to the stage where my dad stood, catching his and the crowd's attention before he could excuse himself. i exchanged a glass of champagne for the microphone in my father's hand. he nodded, reading my intention and gave me a wink.

looked out over the crowd of people gathered in our living room, i cleared my throat and attempted to steel my nerves as public speaking was not something i enjoyed doing. i raised my glass and the crowd raised their's in response. "to my favorite jazz pianist, and to the best jazz album of twenty twenty-three. but above all, to the best father a girl could ever ask for," i announced into the mic.

everyone cheered and drink to my toast. i took a small sip from my own glass and returned a wink to my father, not unlike the one he'd given me moments before. "now, let's get the party started!" i said, a distance away from the microphone but my voice carrying in the domed room.

the crowd dispersed, high energy resonating through the room as drinks were passed out along with hors'devours. i crossed the space between my father and i where he trapped me in an embrace. ever since my mom passed away, he had never been one to show verbal affection—but the hug conveyed every emotion he felt in that moment, love and gratitude evident in his face when he let me go.

"thank you for your lovely words, piper," he smiled, the crows feet crinkling under his eyes. i returned his smile and looked out over the busy room, sipping my champagne. "oh, i just remembered, there are some people i wanted to introduce you to."

i rolled my eyes, giving my father a playful glare. he was always introducing me to people so this was no surprise to hear. he chuckled and grabbed a hold of my arm, escorting me down the few short steps and onto the floor. we made our way toward the rightmost corner of the living room to the large conversation pit where a handful of people sat.

as we approached the eclectic group, the four boys stood, each one with a grin on their face. "piper, these boys are the band greta van fleet. this one here is josh, he is their vocalist—and a fantastic one at that. reminds me of that one vocalist back in my day...his name slips my mind at the moment."

I stepped forward and took josh's extended hand, giving it a shake, "pleasure to meet you."

"this is his brother, jake—the band's guitarist. i believe he recently was attributed best guitar solo of the twenty-first century," my dad commented, gesturing to the boy. he looked just like josh but with longer hair and more of a johnny depp aesthetic going on.

jake gave a sheepish smile and moved to shake my hand, "that is correct, sir."

my father clapped jake on the shoulder, a proud smile coating his expression. he loved meeting accomplished young men, especially ones so passionate about their music.

next, tall curly haired boy with a pleasant face stepped up and extended his hand, which i took. "this is daniel, the bands drummer."

"call me danny," the boy commented with a smile before adding, "it's nice to meet you."