iii

six o'clock rolled around faster than i anticipated. i had been running around the kitchen trying to assemble dinner in a timely manner when the doorbell rang. i slung the rag in my hand over my shoulder and sighed, turning to exit the kitchen.

when i made it to the front door, i could already hear the bustling bunch of boys on the other side. suddenly the realization that i was making dinner for a few boys i barely knew set in but i attempted to brush away the discomfort that accompanied that thought. instead, i pulled open the door and greeted them with a smile.

"welcome back," i greeted while taking a step to the side and holding the door open for them to enter. the four musicians filed into the house one at a time, muttering their own greetings as they passed. after closing the door, i waved for them to follow after me and trailed back to the kitchen.

"thank you for your hospitality," jake smiled, setting a bottle of wine on the island.

josh was already wandering around the dining area, admiring the view of the backyard, "your home is lovely."

i smiled and resumed stirring the pasta, "there are glasses in the cabinet over there if you'd like to go ahead and get pouring." i gestured over the the cabinet at the end of the counter where my dad kept all of his liquor. danny followed my directions and located the wine glasses, as well as a cork opener, pulling five out and setting them where he could easily pour the wine.

"can we help with anything?" sam asked, shuffling through the kitchen until he came to a stop at my side, gazing over my shoulder. his proximity caused me to stiffen ever so slightly before i was able to processing his question .

"the chicken should be ready if you want to pull it from the oven," i suggested. "there are oven mits hanging next to the stove."

he glanced around before stepping closer. a hand rested on my hip as he leaned forward and grasped a mit off the hook in the wall. he hovered there for a moment before breaking away to tend to the oven, the pressure of his palm searing a handprint into my mind.

i turned and pulled a few plates out of the cabinet above me and laid them out on the island. "we have a table outside if you would like to eat out there. the weather seemed seems fair enough," i offered, beginning to plate the pasta. sam followed behind, using a pair of tongs to plate the chicken.

"i dare say, let's dine in the garden," josh cheered, grabbing a ready plate and a glass of wine. without direction, he toted his meal over the glass door leading outside. jake and daniel followed suit, eager to sit and eat. i laughed softly at josh's theatrics, putting a few stray dishes in the sink to soak. i was about to turn around and grab my own meal when a hand grasped my arm.

in a moment i was spun into someone's chest, almost knocking the wind out of my chest entirely. surprised by the action, i glanced up to see sam staring down at me with a smirk on his lips. i felt my heart rate increase as he leaned down, a hand coming up to meet my cheek. before i could protest, sam connected our lips. the kiss was gentle but there was a ferocity behind it that made my knees buckle. i almost melted into the affection until i hear foot steps approaching.

i pulled away from sam, breaking the kiss, and took a step back in an attempt to create distance between us. sam licked his lips and lifted a hand to rub his jaw, a pleased expression on his face. i'm sure my own face was beet red, the kiss having caught me off guard as well as the alarm that coursed through my veins at the thought of being caught kissing someone i've known barely twenty-four hours.

"do you have pepper?" jake inquired, seemingly oblivious to mine and sam's little interaction.

i cleared my throat and nodded, pointing to the dining table where little salt and pepper shakers sat. jake grinned and snagged the seasonings off of the table before trekking back outside. i caught my breath and looked at sam who had a cheeky grin on his face.