v

i had been standing outside of the back gate for about ten minutes when jake approached with a security guard. "you made it!" he cheered.

the guard opened the gate and let me through, handing me a lanyard with a badge attached, letting everyone know i was the band's guest. i hung it around my neck and smiled at jake, "thanks for letting me in."

jake chuckled and gestured for me to follow him, "sorry about that. sam was called for sound check so he wasn't able to meet you out here." his tone implied that i was being considered as sam's guest and felt a blush creep up into my cheeks.

i followed the younger twin as we made our way into the building, although i didn't need the guidance as i had been here several times with my dad to see him or his friends perform.

"are you excited for the show?" i asked, knowing this was one of the biggest nights of their career as a band.

jake practically shivered in excitement, "i cried this morning."

i laughed, his bluntness adding to the humor of the statement. "you'll cry again," i teased, although i knew he probably would. my dad cried multiple times throughout the night when he played the garden.

jake chuckled and continued through the winding hallway, "so, you and sam, huh?"

i squinted at the back of his head before he cast a glance back in my direction to gauge my response. i shrugged, "i guess. it's a little sudden but there's...something."

jake nodded slowly, weighing my answer, "he's a character, but i think he really likes you."

i shrugged, "he's known me for less than a week."

"i said like," jake laughed, "i didn't say he's in love with you."

we came to a stop in front of one of the dressing room doors and jake knocked before announcing, "piper is here, get decent." though there was no time for anyone on the other side to get decent as jake swung the door open less than a second later.

"piper!" josh cheered, his arms up in the air, "lovely to see you. you look wonderful." i smiled at josh's extravagant flattery and thanked him.

daniel rounded the corner and smiled, "hey, piper."

"hello," i waved. jake worked his way further into the room and gestured for me to follow. he rummaged through the mini fridge in the corner and passed a beer my way, which i took and cracked open.

"sam should be back in a few and then we can all eat," jake said, cracking open his own beer.

"i am starving," josh stated and danny nodded in agreement.

right on queue, the door opened and in came sam. he was dressed in a long pair of black slacks and a silky white shirt, buttoned only to his naval. his hair was pulled into a little bun at the back of his head, showing off the sharpness of his features. almost immediately his eyes found mine and a grin broke out on his face, "piper!"

before i could say 'hello', sam's arms were around my waist. over his shoulder i could see the other three boys giving me amused looks. "this is great! tonight is going to be amazing."

"fantasmagorical even," josh quipped.

danny chuckled, "exactly."

jake shuffled a little in his spot, a content smile on his face. i could feel the pride and excitement radiating off of him and i knew he was absorbing every moment of the day as it happened.

"you haven't eaten, have you?" josh asked. i shook my head, having not eaten since breakfast. "good, we're grabbing food then."