Chapter 2: too good to be blue

Y/N pov:

After a restful Christmas in Boston, I arrived back in New York City. I left the day after Christmas because why not. I've always been severely independent.

It wasn't that my family was absent, it was just in my blood. I wanted to take care of myself, be on my own, and not rely on anyone. And I had spent enough time with my family for the break.

It's nature for people to move out at 18. We can't stand each other anymore.

I also am obsessed with New York in the winter. Even though Christmas was over, as a photographer it's my playground.

I haul my bags up the stairs to my room.

I wonder if April missed me.

I open the door to Theo meowing. He was so happy to see me.

"Hi baby! One second." I tell him, my arms full.

His cat sitter left a note on the counter saying how good he was. Theo was my son, i rescued him from New York's streets at the beginning of the semester.

I set my stuff down and pick him up to cuddle him. He was very friendly and loved being held.

I sit down and check my phone after the ride.

April had texted me.

April🦋: hey what time did you wanna take down Christmas decorations in the building? 4:10pm

Y/N: sorry I'm just now seeing this. I can do it now if you're home 6:27pm

April🦋: ya I'm here! 6:27pm

I smile and set Theo down. "I'll be back soon buddy okay?" I chirp, giving him some more scratches.

He purrs.

I decide not to change my outfit because road trip clothes could also work for taking-down-decorations-at-night clothes.

April and I carpool to school.

"It's gonna be so creepy being here when absolutely no one else is." I say softly, shuddering.

April puts the car in park. "Yeah for real. Don't worry they've gotta be more scared of us than we are of them."

I use my keys to unlock the door and we walk in.

The lobby is dark and so eerily quiet. The dark dusk light barely does anything.

April switches on some lights as I set my bag down.

"Joint Spotify session?" I hum, taking my headphones out.

April smiles. "Yes!" She pulls her AirPods out.

We begin taking decorations down, in our own world.

April and I are in the hallway with all the classrooms.

I loose track of time. I'm taking down wreaths from doors when I hear a soft crash.