Ch 1: Outshined

~To The Story~

You never liked family gatherings.

Family members beyond your mother, father, and sister were pretty much strangers to you. You rarely ever see them, barely even reach out to them. So it was like you were forced to be friendly with a bunch of people you didn't care for whenever these gatherings happened. Every time you expressed how you felt this towards your parents, they would always tell you the same thing.

"But they're your family, and they love you."

Okay, yeah, you never said they weren't. But, just because they are, that doesn't you care about them as much as your close family member. Also, do they even love you? The older you became, the more you began to realize how little your extended family cares about you. Your parents complained about how you never reach out to your cousins, but they never bothered to reach out to you aside from wishing you a happy birthday.

Besides, they mostly care about your older sister anyway. Your perfect older sister that everyone adored. She's only three years older than you, but good lord, it felt like she lived a lifetime to be exceptionally good at everything she does. She has perfect scores, she's athletic, popular and can learn to play an instrument if she puts her mind to it.

"... And it worked. He asked me out." One of your cousins squeals. "Thanks, (sister's name)."

Your sister clasped her hands together, sharing the same level of joy as her. Your parents say that you have your sister's smile, but everyone else always seems to praise her smile, rather than yours.

In fact, she shares a lot of your physical features, yet, how come she's so much prettier than you?

"That's amazing." Your sister beams. "I'm so happy for you."

"(Sister's name), help me get a boyfriend too," one of your cousins whines as she tugs her shirt.

Your sister laughed and patted her head. "You're too young, your dad will scold me."

As usual, you're left out of the conversation. For all they know, you weren't even there. You did leave ten minutes ago, but your mother got mad at you, thinking you're being anti-social, and since you're not allowed to leave the party until it's over, you're either forced to interact with your other family members, or with your cousins. You picked the latter because you weren't being forced to talk.

Though, at least your sister tried to put you in the conversation every now and then, but your cousins kept interrupting you. It annoyed you more than it normally would today for some reason.

Well, it is your sister's 16th birthday today, so maybe the extra attention she's receiving is bothering you. Because when you look around, you don't recall this many of your family members showing up to your birthday.

"Hey, (y/n)," your sister speaks to you again, not wanting to leave you out. "Is there a boy you like~?"

You didn't even have to think of an answer.

"No." You shook your head.

"Oh, come on~ you never tell me anything."

Well, all the guys in your class are stupid. What's there to talk about? And all the 'cool' guys in your grade are assholes. Now, if she asked you about the fictional guys in your shows or video games then maybe you would exchange more than just a one-word answer.

"Mom says (y/n) has zero interest in anything," your cousin, the youngest one on the table says bluntly.

Your sister flinched, while your other cousins immediately scolded her and tried to shush her.