Ch 2: Fake Friends

~To The Story~

"Hey, (y/n). Go get me some milk tea."

You were in the middle of eating your noodles when a friend of yours spoke up. You lowered your chopsticks and slightly frowned at the demand. She's been sounding pushier and pushier as of late.

"Oh, me, too!" Another one of your friends spoke up. You opened your mouth but then more of your friends decided to add to the list.

"Give me a soda. No calories."

"A bag of chips for me~"

They would always do this, and frankly, it was getting on your nerves. Not only would you pay for everyone's snacks at school, but you would also pay for everything whenever you're hanging out with them outside of school.

You would always pay for everyone's latte.

Everyone's lunch.

Everyone's movie ticket.

Everyone's ice cream.

You quietly exhaled, making sure not to show your frustrations.

"The snacks here are very cheap here. I'm sure you all can afford it." You said as calmly as you could.

"Yeah, but your family has more money than all of us combined. Unlike the rest of us, it shouldn't affect you whatsoever."

Great. They manage to make you feel guilty.

Sure, some of these girls did come from well-off homes, but you probably don't know how well financially they're doing behind the scenes. They could be struggling for all you know.

"... Fine." You said reluctantly as you got up from your seat. You glance at each of your friends, hoping at least one of them will say goodbye to you, but none of that happens.

Your shoulder dropped, but you turned to leave.

"Oh, (y/n)."

You perked up and turned around, thinking that one of your friends might want to keep you company.

But that turned out to be further from the truth.

"Actually, I changed my mind. Instead of chips, can I have a bag of pretzels? Thanks."

Then she went back to play with her phone, and your spirits crushed right there. You sighed in disappointment and left the classroom all by yourself.

Before you can close the door, you hear them laugh over a video they were watching.

Things sure got lively once you're gone.

You took out your wallet to make sure you had enough change for everyone.

For a second there, an idea stirred. Maybe tomorrow you can pretend to forget your wallet to avoid paying for everyone's snacks. Or maybe you can lie and say that your parents have cut back on your allowance due to spending it way too much on your friends.

It will probably snap them back to reality and maybe even guilt them into thinking they have been asking you for too much money.

However, you fear it would backfire on you. Knowing them, they would probably get bored of you and slowly kick you out of the group. Then you'll truly be alone.

When you walk past the various students, you notice how many of them enjoy the group of friends they are with. Nothing but smiles and laughs from each of them.

Is that what it looks like when you're surrounded by people you like?

Lately, you've been pretty observant of all the other students and the way they act around their friends. It was completely different from the way your friends treated you.