Two

Victoria and Cady are sitting side by side on a bench outside The Red Pony, deeply engrossed in their conversation when Victoria looks up and sees a familiar figure approaching them.

Vic jumps up, surprised to see Walt, the Sheriff, approaching with a concerned look on his face.

The concerned look morphs into a smile when he sees Cady. "Hey Punk, Vic, didn't think I would see you both here on a work night," Walt says to them both. "Hey Dad," Cady says in greeting, standing and kissing him on the cheek.

"And pray tell, what are you doing out and about on a work night?" Vic says in a teasing manner, using air quotes when she says "work night", trying to deflect him from her and Cady.

Letting his question about why the girls were out slide, he responds, "Henry called, said he had some information for me," a concerned look crossing his face again.

Vic, seeing this, says "I was about to head out but do you want me to wait around to see if whatever info he has needs actioning?" Walt smiles, appreciating Vic's commitment, and says "No, no, I doubt it's anything that can't wait until an acceptable time of day. Go get some rest."

Vic looks over to Cady and says "Thanks for the company tonight," then reaches out a hand as if to touch Cady before thinking better of it and giving her head a shake. She looks to Walt and gives him a nod before turning to head to her vehicle.

Walt looks to his daughter. "Punk, anything I need to know?"

Cady pulls her eyes from Vic's retreating form to look at her father. "Not that I know of, Dad," she says, giving him a tired smile. "I better head out too. It's been a long day."

***

Walt takes a deep breath as he watches Cady drive off, relieved that she's safe and sound. He then turns around and walks into The Red Pony, the familiar smells of beer filling his nostrils. As he approaches the bar, Henry looks over and greets Walt enthusiastically.

"Hey there, Walt," he says, wiping his hands on a towel. "What can I get you? You look like you could use a drink."

"I'll have the usual, thanks, Henry," Walt says with a smile. "But I'm not sure that a drink is what I need right now."

Henry slides a cold bottle of beer across the bar, his expression turning more serious. "What's up, my friend?"

"Something just seems off between Cady and Vic, and I can't seem to get a read on it," Walt says, taking a long pull from his beer. "I'm sure it's nothing, but I just want to make sure that everything is all right."

Henry nods thoughtfully. "I noticed them chatting away in here earlier tonight."

"Hmm, anyway, you called me about some information, I believe?" Walt changes the subject, not wanting to dwell on his daughter's relationships anymore.

Henry smiles and leans in closer to Walt, speaking in a low voice. "I heard something about the drugs coming through the area."

***

Victoria sits at home, icing the bruises she got from the massive drug bust earlier thanks to Henry's intel. Her phone buzzes, and Cady's message appears: "Hey! What's up?" Victoria thinks back to the previous evening and wonders how long they could have talked had Walt not interrupted them. Shaking her head, Victoria replies, "Nothing much, just recovering from the bust. You?"

Without hesitation, Cady responds to Victoria's message: "Just wondering if you're free for dinner tomorrow?" Victoria's heart rate spikes at the thought of spending more time with Cady, but before she can get too caught up in the idea, another message arrives: "I was hoping we could get started on the surprise birthday planning before we run out of time."