3. Friends

{Monday, August 28th}

Laying on their couch and sketching onto a digital drawing pad, Marshal didn't acknowledge much of anything around them. It was finally a moment of peace, quiet and some form of happiness.

The leathery texture of the couch only enhanced the comfort. It was a nice mix of cool and warm, and tough yet gentle.

When they heard a knock at the door, they set the drawing pad down, and walked over to the door, the soft carpet temporarily flattening with every step they took. Marshal's mother typically kept the door unlocked for them when they got home (which may not seem the brightest due to home invasions, but the family manages), and Filbert's usually beside them. This time, however, he was strangely behind. So, Marshal looked into the peep hole to see who it was.

It was indeed, Filbert. He was standing next to a blue and white cat who seemed to be around his age, supporting a red and black sweater with a yellow collar.

Marshal unlocked the door, and Filbert immediately smiled. "Hi Marshal! This is my friend Rover, Mom said it was okay that he could come over!"

"Hey," Rover shyly greeted with a wave. "Like he said, Ms. Pecan said it was okay for me to come over."

"Hurry up you two, it's cold outside. Make sure to wipe your feet off," Marshal said with a sense of ease, speaking simultaneously through their voice and sign language. "Now go have some fun."

As soon as they both charged upstairs, Marshal made their way to the kitchen, where their mother sat.

"Was that Filbert and his friend?" she asked in a familiar polite tone. They nodded their head, and opened up the fridge.

"I remember you bringing him up a while back, and just to make sure for this semester... that Dom kid isn't bothering you, is he?"

Marshal froze.

"Marshal?"

"No. U-Um, no."

I should've just told her.

For whatever reason, Marshal felt too weak to 'have just told her'. To their own mother, at that.

"Good. ...I love you, Marshal."

"Love you too, Mom."

Marshal took out a cup of yogurt, approached the drawer, and took a spoon out. When they sat at the table, their mother looked them in the eye.

"That boy upstairs with Filbert," she began. "Is his name 'Rover'?"

"I think so," Marshal responded, scooping up some of the vanilla yogurt.

When the two heard thudding from the stairs, they mentally prepared for the energetic atmosphere that was about to follow.

Filbert and Rover immediately sat down at the table as well. Filbert signed "Can you make us some food, Mom?"

"Please," Rover chimed in.

It's nice to see how Filbert has friends who put the time in to successfully communicate with him.

When Mom got up, she asked "What would you two like?"

Marshal wasn't paying much attention to what the two boys wanted, but they saw Mom get out a small blue box from the pantry, so it was probably some macaroni and cheese. They swallowed another scoop of yogurt, and zoned out, taking in every feature of the kitchen.

When Mom set up a pot of water to boil, she viewed her child's state of mind for a quick moment, before catching their attention with a quick "Marshal?"