6. Others

"Gemma, you next."

We all turned to an Asian girl sitting on the table.

"Alright. I'm Gemma Jung, my dad is Korean and my mom is Japanese-American. I'm 21, and... well, I'm happy to have been chosen to be in the Department with you all." She nodded.

"Rome. Introduce yourself."

"Hmph! I'm Rome Johnson, my parents are American, I'm 20. Is that good enough!?" He snapped.

"Calm down man." A guy with dark red hair laughed. "I'll go next if no one minds. My name is Rip Perez. My mom is from Honduras. I never met my dad. I'm 21."

"That's so sad." A girl frowned.

"It's alright! I'm not stuck on it! Why don't you go next?"

"Alright... my name is Aaliyah Ahmad. My parents immigrated here from Arabia. I'm 19."

"You're a whole lot of sensitive, you know that? Toughen up." A girl rolled her eyes. "I'm Nora Book. I'm 20 and I don't take crap from no one."

Well she seems like a ray of sunshine. Who knows, maybe I'm judging her to soon.

She looked at me and glared.

Or maybe not.

"That was a bit rude of you. I'm Alethea Vasilios. My parents are from Greece and I'm also 21."

"I'm not rude, I just don't fuck with y'all!" Nora shouted and threw a pillow at Alethea who caught it and rolled her eyes.

A guy laughed and shook his head.

"Hey Rome! You and Nora should date! You guys are the same person! I'm Archie Marino. I'm Italian but I moved here when I was five. I'm 22."

"You wanna say that again, fuckface!?" Tone shouted and Nora threw a pillow at Archie who just laughed.

"You are all so uncivilized. My name is Jessie Ark. I'm Canadian. I'm also 23 years old."

A guy sat glancing around at everyone. He looked annoyed.

"I'm Maynard Blue. I'm adopted. I was told my parents are from Finland. I'm 24."

"Alright. That just leaves Sebastian! Go on Sebastian, introduce yourself!" Lantern smiled.

"Oh... okay..."

He glanced around.

"My name is Sebastian Jésus Alarie. I'm French-"

"I can't hear him!" Rome and Nora shouted.

"Shh!" Everyone hissed.

Sebastian's dark cheeks got darker with a blush.

"Sorry...I'm from France. I'm 22."

"Great! Now that everyone knows each other, let's talk!" Lantern clapped.

"So you've all been selected to be part of a new project The Department is constructing. It is for kids 18 to 26 who are from low income households. A lot of times, only wealthy families can afford to train their families to become rescuers, healers, all the works. So we decided to take the most talented 12 lower income kids to train." Chip said fixing her jumpsuit.

See! Julie was wrong about The Department!

They want to help us!

"Now, let me introduce you to your student teachers! They'll be training you in many aspects. Let's hear it for Ezra Calbert and Liam Cort!" Lantern began clapping and everyone followed suit.

Some awkwardly like Sebastian and I, and others enthusiastically like Luna and Jessie.

"Thank you everyone. My code name is Bagger." Ezra said and I tilted my head.

Bagger?

"That's because all his enemies end up in a body bag." Lantern smiled and I tried not to laugh.

Ezra's eyes shot to me and he glared.

Oops.

"My code name is Bird." Liam glanced over our way before typing something on his tablet.

"That's because he strikes from the sky. His specialty is missiles." Lantern said.

At least is name is okay.

I glanced at Ezra who was still looking at me through slightly narrowed eyes.

Geez man, chill.