Chapter 3: Lunch time

Lunch came by way too quickly. I left the room with Willow. She showed me a nice place to have lunch. It was far away from the people and quiet, although she did tell me that the quiet part wouldn't last once the boys arrived.

Before they got to us, the girl from the principal's office approached us. Her blonde hair bobbed as she walked.

"Uh, hi, Willow right?" Said the girl.

"Uh, why, I mean hi. Do you want us to move?" Asked Willow, already grabbing her lunch.

"Why don't we start with "hi, I'm Buffy"?"

Willow seemed surprised she would talk to us. I could see why. It was obvious she was a popular girl. Even if she was nice about it, everyone looked at her as she passed. Reality bent around her to make her life easier. She was lucky and I wasn't. Buffy didn't seem to mind though.

"And you are?" Added Buffy looking at me.

"Bella, Bella Swan."

"Oh, yeah, I saw you in the Principal's office. Are you also new?" Buffy said.

"Yeah, me and my father have just moved to Sunnydale."

"That's great, me too. Now let's segue directly into me asking you, Willow, a favor." Buffy walked around us, sitting next to me. "It doesn't involve any of you moving, but it does involve hanging out with me for a while.

"But aren't you hanging out with Cordelia?" Asked Willow. I didn't know who Cordelia was but it was obvious Willow and her weren't the best of friends.

"I can't do both?" Asked Buffy.

"Not legally." Chuckled Willow.

"Look I really wanna get by here, New school." Buffy shot a glance at me as she said that and smiled. I smiled back. "And Cordelia's been really nice... to me, anyway. But I kind of have this burning desire not to flunk all my classes and I heard a rumor you were the person to talk to if you wanted to get caught up."

"Oh, I could totally help you out. Bella and I were just talking about the English reading list." Said Willow.

"Yeah, I... I know a little bit about English. We could study together." I interjected. She was a popular girl, but she seemed nice enough. Maybe she was like Helen.

"If you have sixth period free we could meet in the library." Said Willow. Buffy's whole face changed.

"Or not. We could meet someplace quieter. Louder. Uh, that place kind of gives me the wiggins." I was surprised as Buffy said that. Had we actually been in the same library? It was a beautiful place.

"Oh, it has that effect on most kids." Explained Willow. "I love it though it's a great collection and the new librarian is really cool."

"I don't know if I would say the word is cool, though. I think he's a bit creepy." I said. The image of that book had been engraved on my mind.

"He's new?" Asked Buffy. She seemed terrified. Why? Had she had a bad experience with him already?

"Yeah, he just started. He was a curator at some British museum. Or the British Museum, I'm not sure." Rambled on Willow.

"That's even creepier," I added. He reminded me a little of a Victorian embalmer.

"But he knows everything and he brought up all these historical volumes and biographies and am I the single dullest person alive?" Said Willow losing confidence.

"Not at all." Said Buffy as I shook my head.

Two male voices came from behind us.

"Hey, you guys busy? Are we interrupting? We are interrupting." Said one of the boys.