Chapter 5- Kamali

I'm lying across a horse. I blink rapidly and my head spins. The man from the dungeons turns to face me with a suspicious look.

"We've arrived." He gets off the horse and politely faces away as I struggle to get down, my legs weak and sore after going so long without using them.

"Who are you?" I ask and he spins around again as the soldiers around us dismount.

"King Dorian Havilliard of Adarlan. And you?" I shiver, but this man looks different to the old king who tortured me. The form He took when people were looking. This was his son. I shrink away, and I know I look like a cornered animal. Good, let them think I'm weak and cowardly, then they won't suspect anything.

"Lyria... Where are we?" I say uncertainly, adopting the name of my best friend. His eyes widen in surprise, and I bite my lip as the other man joins us, holding iron cuffs. The one from the clearing. I thought he would help me. I hold out my hands and he lock my wrists together, the chain dangling between them loudly.

"We're in Terrasen, Lyria." Dorian states, emphasizing the name I'd given. The other man gapes at me. Something clicks in my mind and the pounding headache stops. Terrasen. Queen. Murder. I groan at the realisation, and they look at me with confused expressions.

"As in, Lyria Whitethorn? And why don't you want to be here?" The second man asks suspiciously, I shrug.

"I get bad memories from this place. Yes, it is Whitethorn. How do you know that?" I freeze up, hoping to the gods that Maeve hadn't lied to Rowan about his mate's death. That she wasn't somewhere here about to ruin my plans. As much as I miss her, I couldn't go through losing her again by even letting myself wish that she was still here. I saw her die. Lyria's. Dead. Even if they obviously knew of her somehow. Dorian shrugs and walks up to the palace of Terrasen, knocking on the large doors.

"We've heard a few stories." A young servant opens the doors, his eyes widening as he bows hastily before spluttering nervously.

"Your Majesty. We weren't aware of your visit. I shall go inform the King and Queen. Please, make yourself at home." He leads us to the empty throne room and bows again before scurrying out a side door. Dorian and the other human speak in whispers.

"We can't... dangerous... locked up... Chaol... ask Queen..." Chaol. So that was his name. Good to know. My instincts kick in and I plaster a big smile on my face as I gaze at the glamourous thrones.

"This is amazing!" They nod and Dorian gives me a look that I can't quite decipher. Everyone always falls for it. A sweet innocent woman incapable of fighting or even having a thought of violence. I survey the room, quickly scanning for weapons, exits, servant passages, and anything else of use. After being a spy and assassin for a few decades, spotting these things is instinct.

"Dorian? Chaol?" I gaze at the floor, letting my white hair fall over my face as a young woman's voice echoes around the empty space. Play the weak, apologetic, scared little girl. Both men smile as the servant boy enters again, followed by the Terrasen court. The woman runs over to the King of Adarlan and wraps her arms round his neck in a big hug, before pulling back and looking between the two human men.

"Manon isn't here is she?" She asks sadly and Dorian shakes his head.

"She's with the Crochan's at the moment sorry Elide." My eyebrows rise. Crochans? The King of Adarlan is friends with a witch, and the court of Terrasen. How long had I been in that cell? Trapped in that eternal darkness, I had no sense of time. My thoughts wandered and the shadows whispered. It was hard to tell what was real and what wasn't.