Chapter 8

"Grandpa. You think they're trustworthy?" Sangeeta asked as soon as Lakshmi led the new employees away to show them their rooms.

"They want to rebuild their lives here, Geeta. Everyone deserves a second chance."

Sangeeta smiled. "True." But soon, her expression became stern. "I noticed that you haven't taken the medicines I kept on your table."

"I will now, Doctor Madam."

Sangeeta laughed. "All right, Grandpa. I'll head back to the clinic. I'll see you later."

As Sangeeta headed back to the clinic, her thoughts ran to the two newcomers. They didn't seem like they were down-on-their-luck men. The way they both carried themselves and the way they dressed seemed like they were well-to-do people.

Maybe it was the case of judging people the opposite way. Just because they were well put together didn't necessarily mean they were not going through hard times. And besides, why would anyone go through the trouble of coming this far to Srirampur and finding jobs at her grandfather's house. It wasn't like her grandfather was rich or had many valuables at home.

The only things that were valuable were the simple gold jewellery that Sangeeta's late grandmother had owned and passed them to Sangeeta and her sister.

Sangeeta shook her head. She was reading too much into the newcomers' entry into her home.

"Doctor Madam! Quick!" Sangeeta's assistant, Kailash, said urgently. "Badhra cut his hand while working in the fields. He's in the clinic right now."

Sangeeta didn't waste any more time thinking of the newcomers and slipped into her professional mode. "Let's go." She began to instruct what needed to be done as soon as they reached the clinic.

***

"The room isn't that big," the old woman named Lakshmi stated. "But it's the only room that we have available. Two other rooms that are slightly bigger are occupied by the cook and me."

Vikram glanced briefly at the tiny yet clean room. "This will do." Or rather he had no choice but to accept it. He was about to reach for his wallet to tip the woman and stopped at the last moment. Some habits die hard.

Lakshmi looked at Vishal. "Your room is at the back of the house, next to the barn."

"I'll find it by myself. I'll help my brother settle in first."

The older woman nodded. "Lunch has already been served, but you can go into the kitchen at any time during the day and ask for a meal. I'll come back later to show you the rest of the house."

As soon as she left the room, Vishal crashed on the bed with a sigh.

"Help me settle? Settle with what?" Vikram asked with a raised brow.

Vishal smirked. "Don't be a snob, bro. I know this place doesn't meet with your high standards, especially since you're used to acquiring and staying in the world's most luxurious hotels."

"So are you," Vikram added drily.

"Nevertheless," Vishal continued with a grin. "I can help you spread the high thread count bed sheet that Mum packed for you."

"Thanks. But I'm perfectly capable of spreading my own bed sheets... I think."

Vishal burst out laughing.

Vikram shook his head with a smile. He then put his bag on the corner of the bed and pulled out his cell phone. "I'm going to send a message to Mum that we have arrived. And I'll have to catch up with my email and some pending instructions. I'll come by later to your room."