EIGHT

BUCHANAN'S POV

BUCHANAN'S POV

"Hey, where are you going?" Steve asks me when I finish getting ready in his room and bury my wallet inside my pocket. "I thought we were going to that new place tonight."

Steve wanted the two of us to go into the next town, to pick up some girls. Apparently there's that new bar opening tonight and he must have forgotten he wanted something serious with Jolene because he wants us. To pick up. Some random girls.

He would eventually fuck a chick in the bathroom, get drunk and sob about Jolene being the woman of his dreams afterwards. He has always been in love with her, he just didn't know it until this year and he's scared to lose her forever if he ever tries something with her, blah blah blah. I had to listen to that crap in our dorm back at campus more times than I could count, and it took me every ounce of willpower not to cut his tongue during those moments.

He was talking about the woman of my life, after all. Show her some fucking respect, dammit.

"I have things to do," I answer confidently, leaving no space for questions about what these things actually are. I bet that if he knew, Steve wouldn't be really happy about them. I can't help but feel a thrill of excitement when I think about it. "Tell Lena to come over tonight."

Lena.

It rolls out of my tongue wrong. To me, she's Jolene or Sunshine. Lena is the character she plays whenever she's with him. The one who pretends to like sports and other stuff like that. I'm certain of it.

I need to be alone. I could go when Jolene is at work, but Steve won't leave me alone so I do what I need to do. Even if it means pushing her into his arms.

I would be lying if I said that it didn't bother me. Bother isn't quite the right word.... I'd rather say it makes my blood boil and my hands itch from murder drive.

"I don't know, man. I think she was gonna reject me the other night ... But you know what? I think you're right. I'm gonna tell her to come over."

"Sounds about right."

"Any advice for a desperate man?"

"Lick her ear and nibble her earlobe," I say.

And that, is on the house, my friend.

"Really, dude?" Steve brushes me off as he snorts. "That's your advice?"

"Trust me," I smirk at him, "she's kinky."

It slips off my mouth before I can think twice about saying it and now I can't take it back.

I didn't mean to talk about Jolene specifically. I'm frozen into place, my hands starting to get clammy, waiting for my fuck-up to be noticed. But Steve doesn't register as he chuckles and says, "Okay, okay. I'll keep that in mind."

I mentally blow out a relieved breath. Fuck, I'm such an idiot.

"Can I borrow your truck?" I ask and Steve throws me his keys in answer. I catch them in one swift movement. "Thanks, pal. I'll owe you."