Chapter Three

Emerald Trial

-Vale-
-Beacon Academy-
-Arno Attano-

The auditorium is large, spacious, hundreds of students stand in the room, speaking to one another, Arno is nearest the back, occasionally looking around through he crowd... Eyes surfing for faces he recognizes, he only spots Yang, talking to a few other students, Weiss, berating a student who stepped on her shoes, and the girl themed in black sat on a windowsill reading her book...

Perhaps he can learn her name, approaching slowly, he clears his throat to catch her attention then bows his head, "It's nice to meet you, I'm A-"

"Arno Attano, I know, Blake Belladonna, it's nice to meet you too." She bows her head a bit, her hair bow shifting as she does so...

"I-" Before Arno can speak, Ozpin clears his throat into a microphone, causing everyone to turn to look where the headmaster is stood, beside him is Ms. Goodwitch.

"I'll... keep this brief." Ozpin starts, looking around the room, You have traveled here today in search of knowledge--to hone your craft and acquire new skills."

The speech sounds hopeful, or friendly even, "And when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people."

"But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose - direction." Arno coughs quietly, choking on his spit, he said what?! "You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far."

"It is up to you to take the first step." Ozpin finishes the speech, giving a nod to the students, then walking off stay, Glynda takes over.

"You will gather in the ballroom tonight; tomorrow, your initiation begins." She glances around, "Be ready. You are dismissed."

"...And I thought my father was depressing..." Arno grunts, when he looks over to Blake, she is gone, causing him to groan quietly, he exits the auditorium and finds his way to the ball room, he wasn't expecting to sleep on the floor... So he makes do with his jacket, he stares at the ceiling for a moment when...

"Ahem... Uh, Arno? You awake?"

"...Yes Ruby, I'm awake." Arno sits up, looking up at Ruby who is wearing her pajamas, Yang stands a bit away, moving for Ruby to continue...

"I was wondering! If we could be friends, YangsaidIneedtomakefriendsandweve-"

"Ruby, I cannot understand you when you talk that fast." - A.

"O-Oh, right! Uh... normal knees, can we be friends? Or are we uh... Friends?" - R.

Arno nods, "I'm sure we could be friends, perhaps we may even be on eachothers team." He hums, making Ruby quietly pump her fist.

"Aw yeah! Friends!" Her reaction makes Arno chuckle quietly, shaking his head, Yang walks over.

"See Ruby? It's that easy!" Yang bumps her elbow against Ruby, who grunts from the impact.

"Well, Arno and I have met before, you're the sociable one!" - R.

"Hm, I'm with Ruby on this one, us unsociable people need to stick together." Arno nods, shifting to sit more comfortably, "Now if you'll excuse me, I've got..." He grunts putting a hand to his head, "A very sudden headache... I apologize."

Arno's left hand is shoved into his shirt, to hide the mark, despite it glowing, though his hand shakes a bit, and whispering emits form his hand... "Oh, okay! Goodnight!" Ruby speaks quietly, then quickly walks away with Yang in tow.