⋆ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋᴅᴏᴡɴ ⋆

When Akira finally calmed down, at least enough to collect his tears, he felt exhaustion collapse onto him, making his body slump.

Loid gently rubbed his back, "Want to go back to your room?"

"No," Akira shook his head quickly, gripping onto Loid tightly. "Can I... I sleep here? With you?"

Loid blinked, looking suprised. "Me?"

Akira nodded, looking up at him, "I don't want to... I'm scared."

"Alright," Loid relented, moving a little to let Akira lie down, carefully pulling a soft blue blanket over the boy's chest, his eyes already half-closed.

"...Thank you..." Akira whispered quietly, fingers closing tightly on his dark blue jacket.

Loid's eyes widened- even if it was just by a bit- before smiling faintly. "Go to sleep, Akira."

Akira mumbled something inaudible, his eyelids closing completely as Loid turned off the dim flicker of light the lamp offered, turning the room pitch black.

"Hey," Jackson Fisher who was around seven years old at the time tugged on Akira's blue jacket, his golden eyes glittering as he studied his friend.

Akira shoved him away roughly, "Don't touch me."

Jackson shrugged, "Ready for your first... err, patient?"

"Like I'll ever be," Akira grumbled, flipping his silver knife between his hands. "Is Jenna gonna watch me today?"

Jackson yawned, "Yeah, I feel bad for you."

"She's fine," Akira shot back, feeling defensive.

"Yeah, yeah," Jackson rolled his eyes. "Whatever. You'll understand when you're older."

Akira grumbled, "I am. You know what I mean."

"Sure," Jackson sighed, "whatever. They altered you so you look a bit younger and what? You're still four."

"Six," Akira corrected.

Jackson frowned and lowered his voice so the cameras monitoring every corner of the... err, research labratory. "If you don't follow their rules... they'll do gruesome stuff to you, Akira."

"I'm six," Akira repeated firmly, ignoring him.

"Right," Jackson said sarcastically. "Whatever you say."

Akira shot him a glare as he started down the cold metal halls of Ketsueki Experiments, feeling like the walls were pressing down on him. The outside world knows it as a rising vaccine company but inside... inside everyone knows what they're really doing.

Akira's head spun as he sat up in bed, a burst of light immediently greeting him. He looked around for a second before realizing the events of last night and promptly collapsing into the bed in embarrassment.

"I'm such a child," he whispered into the pillow. Rubbing his head, he sat up and rolled out of bed, his legs numb as he opened the door and out into their new apartment (after the scarring kidnap incident).

"Morning!" Anya called from the dining table. Her legs were swinging back and forth as she stared at Loid in the kitchen.

"Morning," Akira muttered.

"Morning," Loid said, smiling sideways at him, his blue eyes flickering.

Akira looked down at the ground and hurried towards the bathroom where he quickly brushed his teeth and washed his face.

Anya immedientaly scooted over to him when he sat down, her emerald green eyes wide.

"He knows," she whispered loudly.

I told him, Akira thought, holding back a sigh. Jeez. Don't bring it up though. Like, really don't. 

Anya nodded agreeably, her hair fluffing up and down. "Mhmm!"

"Right," Loid set down to plates of bread and cheese in front of them along with a glass of milk. "Today a visitor is coming over so be on your best behavior, eh?"

"Who?" Anya chirped as she grabbed at the toast.

Akira stared off into the distance, the smell of fresh baked bread wafting around the small space. An image of Jackson, grinning his brilliant white teeth flashed in his mind.

"Yor," Loid said, looking a little flustered. "She's the one I, err, went out to a party with. Akira, you good?"

Akira blinked, then nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

Loid rubbed his head, not asking too much questions. Instead, he started towards the living room. "Okay, well, I'm going to catch up on the news-"

"Bondman!" Anya interrupted.

Loid sighed, "Anya-"

"Bondman!" Anya repeated earnestly, pumping a fist into the air.

Akira hid a smile as he bit into the piece of perfectly cooked toast.

Loid bit his lip and supressed another sigh. "After you eat, alright? Let me watch some adult stuff first."

"Okay!" Anya cast a sideways grin at Akira who felt his heart surge with a strange feeling.

Love? Excitement? No...

Hope.

Maybe this will finally be my home.