Dead in the Water

~ THEN ~

~ THEN ~

"Was that your first vampire?" asked John as they walked back to the car. Riley laughed coyly. "I wish. Honestly, I've lost count." She threw the machete in the trunk. John nodded. "Rough childhood, huh?" Riley looked up at him. "Yep. No need for further comment, you know that." Her eyes fell on Dean, who was also coming to the car. "It's not like you were any different." She closed the trunk and sat in the car, staring ahead. She was aware that she shouldn't be so disrespectful to John, but to talk about her childhood in front of her, where Dean never had it easier than she did. It made her angry.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

~ NOW ~

Another day, another hotel. Dean and Riley sat in a diner, a half-eaten breakfast in front of them. Dean had a lot of newspapers in front of him, mostly about missing or deceased people. Riley sat across from him, concentrating on her coffee cup so she wouldn't have to look at Dean. He looked eerily handsome in his leather jacket, so focused. Riley didn't know what was wrong with her. Of course, she'd always thought Dean was handsome, but she'd never had these feelings before. "Can I get you anything else?" the blonde waitress asked, showing too much bust for Riley's taste. Dean grinned, pen lightly in his mouth. But Sam saved the day when he returned to the table. "Just the check, please."

Sam sat down next to Dean and the waitress walked away smiling. Dean tipped his head forward. "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." He stared after the waitress. Riley raised her eyebrows. He pointed at the blonde. "This is fun." Sam remained silent, but glanced at Riley, who immediately looked away. "Maybe you should stop looking at women as objects," she snapped. Dean looked at her, confused. "What?" Riley sighed and looked up at him. Her words had gotten to him; she could see it in his eyes. "Not all women are just 'fun.' Some of them have feelings that don't stop at the hip." Dean furrowed his brow. "Wow. What's gotten into you?" Riley snorted. "I'll wait outside."

Riley stood by the Impala. She didn't know what had gotten into her but she was sick of Dean's flirting. Especially since he was allowed to do it, but with her it was practically forbidden. Every man who approached her was chased away by Dean. No matter if Riley was interested or not. She sighed. She hated fighting with Dean. The guilt grew even more when the two brothers left the diner as well. "Lake Manitoc," Dean said when he reached Riley. She looked at him questioningly. "New case." She just nodded and got into the back seat while Dean opened the Impala. Sam looked at Riley and then at Dean. "Forgot something, be right back." He walked back to the diner while Dean got in. Neither of them said anything. Riley looked outside, watching people come and go. "Ri?" She looked at Dean. "Did I do something wrong?" Riley sighed, then shook her head. "I'm sorry I reacted the way I did. I had another nightmare last night. Maybe that's why I'm not in such a good mood." It wasn't a complete lie, she really did have another nightmare. Dean nodded in understanding. "You know you can always come to me, Ri." "Yep. Forgive and forget?" She smiled slightly as he nodded with a smile.