Chapter One

When I was young, I was afraid of the dark

When I was young, I was afraid of the dark. When I got older, I learned that darkness is a place, and it's full of monsters.

I sat quietly in the cart next to Alina as it traveled towards the camp just outside the Fold. Alina was sketching the fold for a map, despite the bumps in the road. Her dark, almond shaped eyes were lit up with excitement and curiosity, like always when she sketched.

"Alina, how can you do that in here?" Alexei asked her, his uniform hat covering his dirty blonde hair. Alexei was crushing on Alina, but she was oblivious to it. It didn't matter, because she definitely didn't feel the same way.

"Bumps help with texture." Alina replied. We were all in our dark green First Army uniforms.

"The fold looks different on mine. I need to get a better view from your country." The guy sitting across from us said hatefully, and my head shot up.

"Or maybe you're just awful," I retorted with a scowl. "Say that again and I'll kick in your teeth."

"She grew up here." Alexei shoved his face. "Come on!"

"The Shu Han didn't want her either."

"Well none of us want you, you ugly sod." I snapped, and we shared a heated glare.

"Cartographers, listen up. We're almost there." Our commander said, pulling back the cover from the outside of the cart. "Pack up your stuff and be ready to leave. And if you lose anything you will not be getting a replacement." She added sternly, her blue eyes firm and her tone leaving no room for questioning.

We packed our things back into our bags, Alina quickly shoving her sketchbook into her pack.

But they aren't the monsters. They're just boys.

There were growling sounds in the distance, and everyone froze, looking up hesitantly.

"We're here." I said solemnly, shoving down the pit in my stomach.

I learned about my true enemy when I was a child.

The Fold is the reason that darkness is a place. It's a tear across our country, dividing it into two halves. A literal place of shadows, and monsters. Monsters called the volcra.

We have nowhere to go but through the Fold, if we want access to the ports. The Shu Han to the south guards their mountains, and the Fjerdan hate Grisha. People who can manipulate Small Science.

There are Squallers, who have powers of the air. Tidemakers control water, and Inferni are pyros. Durasts are builders, while Healers can mend, and Tailors can modify. The Heartrenders control heartbeats. They can start your heart up again or stop it. Very useful when wanting to know if someone's telling the truth.