Chapter Twenty-Four

Silence stretched the Captain's cabin as Alina, Mal and I tensed, ready for a fight

Silence stretched the Captain's cabin as Alina, Mal and I tensed, ready for a fight. "No point in denying it, Miss Starkov. You are the Sun Summoner, and your friend there is Astrid Sisko, the Elemental." The Captain said calmly.

"You're right." Alina said, pushing her hands out and letting sunlight fill the room, spreading from the spheres of pure light in her palms. The Captain sat down, letting out a whistle.

"Impressive." He said, his tone carefree. "And it's not often I say that."

"Let us go. Or you'll be out twenty million kruge and a ship." Alina threatened, her sunlight still burning bright. The Captain chuckled.

"While I'm well aware you could consign us all to the watery deep," He said, rising to his feet and walking towards the whiskey he kept on his table, pulling off the stopper and pouring himself a glass. "You should really consider how far from the docks we are." I stepped forward.

"I think you're underestimating my character," I said confidently, and the Captain chuckled.

"I told you you'd like that one, Tolya." He said to the man standing behind us. "Besides, I'm not handing you over to the Fjerdans." He added, returning to his seat.

"You're not?" Alina and I chorused, confused.

"Saints, no." He said immediately, and then looked up, faking alarm. "Sorry, is it offensive to say that in the presence of a living Saint?" He questioned. I rolled my eyes at him. Mal rolled his eyes too, sitting down on one of the two chairs in front of the desk, facing the Captain.

"Okay. What do you want with us then?" Mal asked. Alina stood behind him, putting herself between Mal and Tolya protectively, while I sat down in the chair, propping my feet up on his desk confidently and arching my eyebrow at him, challenging him to tell me to pull my feet off. He didn't. Wise choice.

"With you? Nothing." The captain said. "Honestly, I'm not even sure who you are," He added, and I rolled my eyes again. "But the Sun Summoner... well you have to know you're quite valuable. And if Alina's valuable, you are... indescribable. A true, rare beauty. I meant your powers, but that face can win a thousand hearts too." He added to me, his blue eyes twinkling flirtatiously. I rolled my eyes up to the ceiling, groaning.

"Oh, Saints, kill me now."

"You just said you wouldn't turn them in for a bounty, pirate." Mal snapped, leaning forward.

"Privateer." He corrected.

"Oh," Mal and I mocked in unison.

"And what I said was I wouldn't hand her over to the Fjerdans. I said nothing of the Kerch or the Shu. I paid a small fortune to empty the dock and make sure you got on my ship. And frankly, I think the Fjerdans are severely undervaluing you. You especially." He added, throwing a glance at me.

"Happy to be the afterthought." I replied with fake enthusiasm.

"You're right. They are." Alina said, walking between Mal and I and putting her hands on his desk, leaning over. "Because you'll be able to ask the King of Ravka for twice as much." She added.