Chapter 8

Ethan

The Fine Art of Screwing Up

I never expected to see Jessi try out for a play – or get on a stage, for that matter. Yet there she was, standing stiffly centerstage beside Aurora Dickison, the new girl in our year. They were both trying out for the leading role for this year's senior play, and their audition was in a few minutes.

I had dropped off my backstage application form in the designated bin at the front of the auditorium. But then, instead of walking home as I originally planned, I sat down in one of the wooden auditorium chairs, intrigued. When I had seen Jessi enter the auditorium afterward, I assumed that she was dropping off a backstage application form – it was what we would usually do when it came to the yearly plays at our school.

But then, I had seen her get up onstage.

I couldn't imagine what had convinced Jessi to take up acting. It was strange even seeing her up on that stage because I knew that she – just like myself – was more of a backstage kind of person. After all, I knew from having been in her classes in the past that she struggled just with oral presentations.

But then again, I don't even know who Jessi is anymore.

I sighed, leaning my head against my seat and closing my eyes. Even though the Ember Falls High auditorium chairs were far from comfortable, I honestly could have fallen asleep – feeling drained and having the capacity to turn off all your thoughts were two very different things, though.

A loud voice boomed from onstage. I opened my eyes to see Aurora twirling around and throwing her arms out as she passionately recited a piece from Romeo and Juliet.

But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?

It is the East, and Juliet is the Sun!

Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon.

It is my lady; O, it is my love!

O that she knew she were.

She speaks, yet she says nothing. What of that?

For a moment, I looked away from Aurora, who was still absorbed in her performance, and over to Jessi, who was standing off to the side. She was gripping her script very tightly, and even from where I was sitting, I could tell that she was shaking. I was no expert in theatre, but I was pretty sure that the actors onstage weren't supposed to look like they were about to pass out.

Maybe Jessi hasn't changed that much, I thought, feeling sorry for her as Aurora smiled encouragingly at Jessi.

When Aurora took a step back and Jessi took a shaky one forward, though, Jessi started to worry me.

A mixture of uncertainty and fear painted her face as she cleared her throat. "Um– R-Romeo, Romeo, w-where-fore art–" Jessi cut herself off, freezing. She glanced back down at her paper, wanting to continue her audition even though we both knew how badly this would end. "D-Deny... um... thy..."

Aurora, from Jessi's other side, looked both mortified and sympathetic. She was mouthing something, almost as if she was trying to prompt Jessi.

But I knew that it was hopeless.

"I-I'm sorry," Jessi stammered, then dropped her script and ran off the stage.

"Jessi!" I heard Aurora shout as I watched Jessi sprint out of the auditorium doors.

Despite everything, I then found myself standing up to go after her. I ducked out of the auditorium and looked both ways quickly, searching the empty halls for Jessi but unable to find her.