Chapter 9

Adley

Getting What You Want 101

"How are the assignments coming along?" Ivy asked as she paced in front of the motel beds, arms crossed in front of her chest like an investigator.

Anna sat up from leaning back against her bed's pillows and raised a hand, acting as if we were actually in a meeting. "I think I've got Jessi under my radar," she explained when Ivy called on her.

I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

How had she done her part so effortlessly?

"How so?" Ivy questioned as I slouched further into my seat in the corner chair.

All I wanted was to get more sleep. Why Ivy had woken us up by pounding on our motel door for a gathering at seven o'clock on a Friday morning – while Nate got to use our shower and not attend – was beyond me.

It was so unfair. Especially when I was the one awake all night because I was sick over the fact that the one person I loved most believed that I was dead.

"Well, I was able to push her into auditioning for the school play yesterday afternoon. I did an outstanding job," Anna bragged, tossing a lock of red-orange hair over her shoulder. "However, Jessi ran off mid-audition and I haven't seen her since." Ivy laughed hysterically, and so did I before Anna held her hand up in protest. "Look, even if she doesn't make the cut–"

"Wow, the amount of faith that you have in Short Stack cracks me up," Ivy chuckled.

Anna narrowed her eyes at Ivy. "Even though she won't make the cut," Anna began again, a frown now on her face, "I have still found a way to get her closer to me. I think we're already friends."

"Well, 'I think' isn't good enough. I want an affirmative answer." Ivy then turned her gaze toward me, not giving Anna a second to comment. "Now, how's Mission Kyle?"

I swallowed hard, knowing that my answer wasn't going to satisfy Ivy. "I have nothing, okay?" I admitted, and Ivy's jaw dropped in shock. "I bumped into him one morning, and he kinda checked me out the other day, but that's it. It's a lot harder to get close to some guy that you have no relation with, let alone don't know anything about. I just need a little longer. I know that I can get him under my control," I explained, trying to make the situation sound better than it was.

After a moment of silence, Ivy sighed. "Fine."

"Fine?" Anna and I both questioned, a smile spreading across my face.

"Yeah. If it's done soon, that's what matters," Ivy told me, and I could see her hiding a small smile from us. "We're not in a rush."

"Huh?" I asked, hoping for clarification.

Ivy waved me off. "Never mind, just get to school. The more time you get, the better."

Anna and I stood up, along with Ivy, slinging the straps of our heavy bags over our shoulders. As we walked toward the door, though, I heard the bathroom door creak open. We all spun around to see Nate standing in the bathroom doorway in his blue jeans. His sandy-blond hair was wet and messy, and his tanned skin was glistening.

"Um, aren't you forgetting about someone?" he asked as he quickly dried his hair with a towel. He then pulled on a black T-shirt before walking toward us.

"Oh, right. You," I responded with an eye roll as I tugged on the rusted door handle. I looked back at Ivy as the door opened. "You two lovebirds can stay back. We, however, need to get to school." I then grabbed Anna's arm and pulled her out the door with me.