Chapter 15

Ethan

The Truth Won't Set You Free

With Christmas only a few hours away, my home was bustling with activity since my parents were having the entire family over to celebrate the holidays. Socializing with family members that I barely knew while forcing a smile onto my face wasn't close to being on my wish list. Yet here I'd been, putting up wreaths on every door, decorating the large Christmas tree in the living room, and helping my mom bake cookies.

Now, I had just been sent to the corner store to pick up a new cartoon of milk so that my mom could bake the chocolate cake.

My brainpower on battery saver, I dragged myself down the icy sidewalk as the chilly air nipped at my skin. My feet felt as if they were sinking into wet cement whenever I would take another step. My eyes kept drifting shut, and I had already almost crashed into three different street signs.

"Stay awake, Ethan," I told myself. I ignored the weird looks that nearby people shot me as I grumbled to myself.

God, how could people be so happy about the holidays? I wondered as I glanced around at bypassing people. Their smiles were so wide that they felt forced. How could their lives be so perfect?

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my black sweater, fighting back tears.

2015 has been quite a bitch.

I laughed a little to myself, remembering what Jenna had told me the night she came to my house with the guys. I wasn't the only one who'd had a shitty year. She had said that she lost her parents in a car crash, and honestly, I had no idea how she was holding up so well–

A dog barked from nearby, making me jump and trip over my untied bootlaces. I tumbled onto the pavement, scraping my right palm and knee on the icy ground. For a second, I didn't move since I didn't have the willpower to do so. After getting a couple of stares from people driving by, though, I slowly stood up. I then raised my right hand to see a thin stream of blood dripping down my wrist and soaking into the sleeve of my sweater. When I pulled up my sweats, I noticed that my knee was also torn, smeared with blood, and burning. The sweatpants were only torn a little, though blood was seeping through at some spots.

Shaking my head, I forced myself to get up and start walking even though the pain buzzed through my body. I hardly paid attention to my surroundings as I stepped into the street–

A car honked at me as it zipped past me. I hurried my pace, nearly tripping as I darted onto the sidewalk on the other side of the road.

I took a deep breath to steady my pounding heart. I then pulled open the door of Monet's Drugmart, my thoughts racing so fast that it made me dizzy.

"Give me one reason why you think you're the favorite."

"Well, I did do better than you – the A+ student – on that last science test," I boasted to Anna as I slid down the slide at the park. Once I stood back up, I looked at the top of the slide to see Anna roll her eyes. She didn't seem to have liked the answer.

"Come on! You were better by one percent. One percent, Ethan!" Anna cried in frustration, sliding down next and landing in front of me.

"I am the oldest too," I added, feeling confident in this answer. "Everyone loves the oldest."

Anna rolled her eyes again. "You're only older by twenty minutes."

"So? It still counts."

"Fine, then," Anna said, her voice taking on a challenging edge as she placed her hands on her hips. "If you're everyone's favorite, make me a list of ten people that prefer you over me."