𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫. all falls apart

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. all falls apart

❨ gen v ❩

YOU WOULD SEE IT ALL THE TIME ON TELEVISION

YOU WOULD SEE IT ALL THE TIME ON TELEVISION. THERE'S a knock at the front door, and, on the other side is someone waiting to tell you the news that changes everything. On television, it's usually a police or firefighter, maybe someone from the armed forces.

But when Miyeon opened the door ― before she knew everything was about to change for her ― the messenger wasn't a cop or federal investigator. It was Indira Shetty, the business suit she wore was as crisp as a new banknote and dyed to a uniform shade of bleak grey. Above the white collar line, it was as if her face had been fashioned from those inky dots.

"Miyeon?" She asked. She hesitated before answering ― the way she often does when the woman was around her. Miyeon shifted. "I'm afraid I've come with some... news."

She held her gaze on the brunette, noticing her bloodshot eyes. "I'm sorry," she says, "am I missing something? Why would they send you?"

"It's about your parents."

She didn't expect that answer. She didn't know what answer she was expecting but it certainly wasn't that. She tried to piece everything together at that moment. Why hasn't her sister called her? Well, her first guess would be about what happened just that night, even if Joowon did call, Miyeon would hang up almost immediately and then break, she was like that.

"Oh God, did they forget to pay my tuition fee?"

"No..." She begins, swallowing hard.

"No, they're not," Miyeon mumbled quickly. Then she steps outside herself. She half expected her parents ❨ her lovely and silly parents ❩ to jump out from the side of the dorm, Joowon giggling behind them, the lot of them letting her in on the prank she'd not get. But they weren't there. No one was.

Just Dean Shetty, who had crocodile tears streaming down her face.

It occurred to Miyeon, in the quiet, how much she didn't want Shetty to finish her sentence. She didn't want to know. Part of her still wanted to hold on to her last memory of the three of them together ― the moment when they celebrated Miyeon making it to the top ten, smiles on both their faces as they looked at each other.