23

Bilain passed through sprawling, gardened avenues of the Municipal Ward but saw nothing. Torn between bringing Asnarrus and Ghistreen to justice and saving her family. Her mind flipped from assaulting Asnarrus, beating the location of Ranaie and Amaini from the man, to bending the knee. From ordering the Watch to break down the gates of the High Ward and dragging Ghistreen through the streets of The Sprawl, to see what her schemes had wrought, to begging at those gates for mercy.

Her eyes wavered between the municipal building where Asnarrus performed his duties and up to the High Ward, looming over the rest of the city upon its hill. A stark reminder of what wealth and privilege brought to those who had it. She couldn't imagine the kind of person that would let hundreds of people die for their own benefit. What kind of mind could dismiss all those lives as inconsequential, as nothing but toys to play with as they willed.

She half-expected the Watch of the Municipal Ward, adorned in their filigreed armour and velvet cloaks, to stop and arrest her at every step, but few even turned an eye in her direction. Dirty, stinking from her exertions the night before, her short, grey hair tousled and in disarray, she doubted anyone would recognise her as someone of authority. Albeit authority only in The Sprawl. A blight upon the city of Adrasusk. A 'cancer' as Senator Hilnauun had described it and the other two Wards the city would rather not acknowledge.

Even at the marble steps that led up to the immense building where the day-to-day work of administrators and clerks passed by without thought of the people they held dominion over, she still found herself walking with freedom. How long that would last would depend on how she handled what came next.

A lackey almost ran her way as she entered the building, hands waving at her, eyes widening at the sight of her muck encrusted clothing, the bully stick dangling at her waist, but she pushed past him before he could utter a single word. She knew where to go and had no need of a functionary telling her that she wasn't properly attired. Still, he skipped and shuffled to keep up with her as she headed toward the grand, curving staircase that led to the offices on the second floor.

"No. No. No. This simply will not do!" The lackey attempted to block her way, pushed aside by the lightest of touches. "This is not the place for such ... people as you."

"I am Bilain Grasall, Captain of the Ward Watch for The Sprawl, here to see Senate Secretary, Jerail Asnarrus. He will be expecting me." She stopped, mid-stride, catching the lackey by surprise. He continued moving on before turning back to her. "Or would you care to tell the Secretary that you delayed me because I haven't washed?"

"Well, I ... Of course, I ..." The lackey's mouth opened and closed as he tried to find a reason to stop her, but he could do nothing more. "Well, in that case, would you like some tea while I see if the Secretary is ready to receive you?"

"No." Once again, she barged past him and, this time, the man did not try to keep up.

She did notice the eyes of the guards tracking her as she strode toward the staircase, and a tilt of the head allowed her to see them following her as she took the steps two at a time. The little weasel had given her an escort, but it made little difference. Even with a glance, she could tell these two guards, a man and a woman, had become soft from their days of parading around in finery of little use in a battle.

Children of the rich, most like. Given positions through the good graces of powerful parents and family friends. She doubted either of them had ever drawn their swords in anger. Never lowered their spears for anything but to block passage of unwanted visitors. All with one, short look, she could see over a dozen ways she could humble them without even drawing a drop of blood. Her Watch members were all hardened, brought up in The Sprawl, or forged to cutting edges in the army and honed by her own training.