27 - Epilogues

Epilogue 1

Bilain made the journey for one last time. She had presided over the wake for Ilivno, her body never even found, and had left Trenna in charge of the Watch until such time as the Senators chose a new Captain. She hoped that they would choose him. He had much to learn, but he had earnest desire to do good within The Sprawl and that was a good start. The Sprawl needed someone who cared about the teeming Ward.

The resignation sat, folded within her jacket and she strode toward the Senate with a renewed purpose. She had discussed everything with Ranaie and he supported her decision, even though he didn't entirely agree with it. Nishrean had accepted their offer to take her into their family and appeared to have taken quite a shine to her new 'sister'. Everything had become calm. Perhaps a little too calm, but that could as easy come from Bilain's natural paranoia.

The Senate bustled with people as Bilain made her way around the arcing rotunda, toward the office of Senator Hilnauun En Shafir, and she heard much talk of recent events. The downfall of Jerail Asnarrus, the imprisonment of Ghistreen Ganshorn, the fire that gutted Senator Yiladry's house, that burned throughout the night and well into the following day.

Hilnauun awaited her, watching the open doorway as though she had expected Bilain at that exact moment. With a roll of the hand, she invited Bilain inside and indicated the chair across from her. She sat forward, clasping her hands together atop the desk and gave Bilain a silent look of expectation. With nothing else to say, Bilain reached into her jacket, removing her resignation and turning it between her fingers before, finally, placing it before the Senator.

"My resignation. If you wish, I'll stay on until you decide on my successor, but I'd like to leave as soon as possible." For good measure, she pushed the folded letter forward a little further, but Hilnauun didn't even look at it. "If my advice is worth anything, I think Trenna Twice-Dead would make a worthy Captain, given time and support."

There was a tale to Trenna's last name. Eass folk tended to avoid family names, choosing a last name based upon some noticeable feature, or for an event in their lives. Bilain had always enjoyed hearing that tale from the man. The Senator didn't even raise an eyebrow at the Sergeant's odd name, instead, she continued to look at Bilain as she picked up the letter, tapping the corner upon the table surface. She leaned back and Bilain wondered whether she would speak at all.

"Accepted." The Senator dropped the letter atop a pile of papers at the edge of the desk. "But only because we have a new position for you. The Senate is impressed with the way you conducted the investigation laid before you. We believe that the only reason you reached any wrong conclusions was because you were manipulated to do so. We doubt that will ever happen again. We are aware you do not make the same mistakes twice."

"Senator. I'm not here for a job." This was not what Bilain had expected when she had made her decision. "I'm done with the Watch. I only want to spend time with my family. I don't accept this 'new position'."

"Oh, Bilain! You speak as though you have a choice. You do not." The Senator linked her fingers, resting them upon her belly, laughing. "We are designating you Commissioner of all the Ward Watches within the city, where you will implement Sergeants of Investigations in every Ward. You have shown us a new way of policing crime and we intend following that through. It comes with a substantial increase in pay and a new home, at the edge of the Nothest Ward."

"No. No!" Bilain jumped to her feet, ignoring the scowl that fell upon the Senator's features. "I failed! Only by twists of fate and luck were we able to stop what Ghistreen planned. I ... I don't want to leave The Sprawl."

"You will attend offices within the administration building in the Municipal Ward, where all Ward Captains will report to you." It mattered little what Bilain wanted, it seemed. Hilnauun lifted a scroll of papers from a drawer beside her, holding it out to Bilain. "All the details are here. You start in five days. Enough time to inform your husband and move to your new home. That will be all, Commissioner."